1.8T Sport - rear roll bar / suspension issues??

A4Chris

Reaction score
I've started getting a clatter / rattle from the rear end when driving over bumps. This has coincided with the car feeling 'floaty' on the motorway (used to feel absolutely planted). Also, as a test, I tried an emergency stop from 60 and was a bit shocked to feel the rear end of the car skew from left to right.

It's booked into the garage next week for a look but I was just wondering if you guys know of any possible causes? Could it be a problem with the rear roll bar?

Cheers

Chris

is she not quattro? If not there is no Anti roll bar to worry about, so its probably a blwon shock TBH. Had it happen myself. Take a look at the shocks from the back of the car and see if there is visable oilage on them. Or i suppose it's possible the axle bushes have disintergrated, that too can happen, but tend to deteriorate with age

Sounds like either rear top mounts or more than likely the rear shocks. Would be wise to swap both, though I've been told by an Audi technician that due to the way they are constructed, rear top mounts rarely fail... but as you'll be whipping it all out, you might as well stick new ones in.

To be honest though, I'd not waste your money taking it to a garage... the rear shocks are relatively easy to replace yourself if you're fairly handy with the spanners.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like rear shocks may be the issue then. I'll have a crawl around under the car tonight and see what I can see.

If it is shocks will probably do myself over a weekend (seized rusty bolts galore??).

Cheers