Brake lights don't work till pedal about 1/3 way down! (brake light switch maybe?)

impster

Reaction score
Website
www.rhydianmason.co.uk
As per the topic title, my brake lights won't come on until the pedal's about 1/3 of the way down - i.e. after the car has started braking.

I'm guessing it's a brake light switch issue - Do these cars have adjustable switches or is it a case of replacement?

Mine's a 'W' reg, 2000, A4 (B5 model) 1.9TDI 115hp Saloon.

If it is the switch, is it a DIY replacement job, how easy/hard?

(complete audi novice so please go easy!)

Thanks

Impster

:redrs4:

Its simple enough to change, you need to drop the drivers knee bolster and thats only 4 8mm headed bolts, that will allow access to the switch. You can remove the wire to the footwell light to remove the bolster completely. Once in there you will know whether its loose or needs changing

Top man. Thanks for the info. Once this ****** rain eases off I'll take a peek.
Where's a good place to get a replacement if I need one - local VAG dealer or are there better options?

dont know about yours but mine is adjustable , screw type think its above the clutch pedal

Mine needs doing too... I have a similar problem, though not quite as severe!

Does anyone know what kind of switch mine's likely to have (yr 2000, 'W' reg 1.9 TDi 115hp Saloon)

If it's adjustable, I presume it's a 'two-nut' on a thread affair - similar idea to adustable handbrake/clutch cable concept? Is there a way of finding out without dismantling?

Many thanks for all the help - greatly appreciated.