Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: wot first?

Fully Certified Detailer!!

Status

wot first?

hopefully in the next few weeks i should be looking at gettin some rims, i think im gona get myself some 19' RS4 DTM's as ive always had a fondness for them but im not sure wot to do first, do i get the rims and slap em on my S4 and risk rolling round like an audi allroad or do i get some coilovers first? cant really afford both rite now as the credit crunch has got me by the balls and squeezing tight but after the rims i was goin to get coilovers but i dont want to roll around with my car lookin on stilts so which do you recommend first guys, rims? or coilovers?

let me know wot you think cuz i seen an A4 the other day on big rims an not lowered an it looked ****e.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Project Plush

Status
    coilovers
    Drizz Developments - Audi A4 Avant Quattro Sport

6th Gear

Status
    The S4 is lower than the A4 and looks lower still thanks to the painted sideskirts.

Chuck the wheels on!
    Mo power, mo problems

Neutral

Status
    coilovers all the way for me.
    the rims will make the car look better but the huge gap between the wheel and arch will let it down,
    Been down both roads in the past and now would allways lower first .
    BUT
    if you dont have the 19s on you wont know how low to set up the coillies so you will probably end up altering the ride hight again when the wheels go on.
    HHHHHHmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions..

Standard specification is unacceptable

Low Life

Status
    It's a toughie.

I was lucky enough to be able to do both at the same time.

I'd be tempted to go the coilies route first though... standard S4 rims aren't that bad to be able to leave on for a while...
    NEW 6 cylinder 40mm front springs - £40

PM me for more info

1st Gear

Status
    i would go for the coilovers will look too high on 19"s

Status
    i was thinkin jus get the wheels on but i hate cars which have a huge gap in the arch. how much do yall think i can get a good set of 19 DTM's for? cuz if i can get a good set for tidy money then i mite juswait that bit longer an do both.

Amateur Spanner Monkey

Status
    I had the 19's on my car for about a month before i fitted the coilover. Only reason i did it that way was because the wheels came up at a very good price otherwise i would have lowered it first as it did look pretty bad on the standard stilts!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I'd probably spend the money on the suspension, unless your tyres are needing replaced very soon.

I wouldnt be buying coilovers though, unless your planning on spending a grand+ and buying proper ones.

For a road car, most cheap coilover kits just arent any use, they're far too stiff, the valving is completely wrong for the road and the springs are too hard. All this together means that while the car may SEEM to drive better (it wont roll as much), your mechanical limits of grip will have been reduced.

If your primary goal is to wedge the car into the floor, without any consideration for handling then fine, but TBH you may as well just take a grinder to your standard springs, as it will probably handle better like that.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    im looking at H+R's to stick on it, im not in a rush to get my car the way i want it so if it takes an extra couple of weeks saving to get the best for my s4 then so be it, im not one of these to jus stick on whhels an ride around until i get coily's so if i do get the coilys ill be stickin them in the garage or in a room in the house to keep them dry until i get the rims then put them both on. either H+R or KW variant 2.

All hail the mighty quattro!

Status
    I'd do the supension 1st, get more joy out of the car that way, rather than just looks, I fitted my 19s for a day and then took em off until the suspension got here cos it looked like this:

Not a good look!
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro

Status
    thats sealed it for me stapo, i wanted to see a noggy s4 on 19's that aint been lowered an thanks to your pics i will now get the coily's first. hopefully get them in the next few weeks.

All hail the mighty quattro!

Status
    It's ok running 19s on standard springs........ if you want to drive across fields!
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro