JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17

    audi newb here, where to start?

    hi guys, my names pete and i have just brought myself a 97' a4 1.8t and overall am very pleased with it, it has auto climate control and heated full leathers which is nice.

    its got 122k on it but still feels really tight and everything still works.

    my only gripe is the turbo feels very laggy and has pretty much no go below 3.5k?
    i have read a few posts about fitting a new dv and ecu remapping which seem very feasble, but was wondering where the best place to start was?

    also i'm a little confused as on the engine cover it says 5v turbo, what is this ? surely its not valves???

    anyway i'm sure you will see alot more of me in the future

    pete

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by pugpete1108 View Post
    also i'm a little confused as on the engine cover it says 5v turbo, what is this ? surely its not valves???
    hi Pete,

    Welcome!

    I'm sure the 5v is referring to valves per cylinder. Making yours a 20Valve. Mine has the same (5v on the engine covers) and it has 30V. so yeh. lol. Sorry, i cant help you on the other stuff... ill leave that to the proffesionals on here! From what i hear and have seen on here though... quite a bit of potential from that engine.

    Happy Audi'ing!


  4. #3
    S4twiggy's Avatar
    Fully Certified Detailer!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    1,811
    vagcom is always a good thing to check if anything is faulty so i recommend gettin it plugged in, if everything is all good then the 1.8t is one of the best engines to tune so a simple remap should see you good for 180+ bhp(i assume yours is the 150bhp)

    there a load of guys on here who know their stuff bout the B5 1.8t so jus keep checkin the threads for info.

    hope your ride is cool and get some pics on here

    and the fun begins!!!!!

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4191 View Post
    hi Pete,

    Welcome!

    I'm sure the 5v is referring to valves per cylinder. Making yours a 20Valve. Mine has the same (5v on the engine covers) and it has 30V. so yeh. lol. Sorry, i cant help you on the other stuff... ill leave that to the proffesionals on here! From what i hear and have seen on here though... quite a bit of potential from that engine.

    Happy Audi'ing!
    ah that would explain it, simple really

    Quote Originally Posted by S4twiggy View Post
    vagcom is always a good thing to check if anything is faulty so i recommend gettin it plugged in, if everything is all good then the 1.8t is one of the best engines to tune so a simple remap should see you good for 180+ bhp(i assume yours is the 150bhp)

    there a load of guys on here who know their stuff bout the B5 1.8t so jus keep checkin the threads for info.

    hope your ride is cool and get some pics on here

    and the fun begins!!!!!
    will get some pics up tomorrow.

    i googled vagcom looks impressive, is this a diy program? if so could you reccomend a version that will suit my a4?

    it is the 150 (how can you tell, i thought it was the only t produced in those years?)

    it may be running as it should but i came from a rover turbo to this (via a 306xsi) so maybe i expected too much for a std car?

  6. #5
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by pugpete1108 View Post
    i came from a rover turbo to this (via a 306xsi)
    Oooh! what rover turbo!?


  7. #6
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    15,350
    only the quattro sport had the 180hp motor, all other 1.8T B5's are 150hp.

    I think it not doing much below 3.5k is pretty normal really. Ok its on boost from 2k, but its not exactly a lot of power so you do need to get it up the revs before it will start to move.

    Your rover turbo will have weighed a similar amount but had 200hp as stock. The turbo on the 1.8T isnt really there to make it a performance car, it just gives it a nice amount more torque than an equivilant NA engine to make it nicer to drive on the motroway etc. Luckily though, being a turbo its inherntly tunable. Remap on a stock turbo will see somewhere around 190-200hp which will make it a lot more lively, althoguh thats about the limit of the standard blower.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4191 View Post
    Oooh! what rover turbo!?
    600 series ti running 14 psi nice car dunno why i sold it.

    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    only the quattro sport had the 180hp motor, all other 1.8T B5's are 150hp.

    I think it not doing much below 3.5k is pretty normal really. Ok its on boost from 2k, but its not exactly a lot of power so you do need to get it up the revs before it will start to move.

    Your rover turbo will have weighed a similar amount but had 200hp as stock. The turbo on the 1.8T isnt really there to make it a performance car, it just gives it a nice amount more torque than an equivilant NA engine to make it nicer to drive on the motroway etc. Luckily though, being a turbo its inherntly tunable. Remap on a stock turbo will see somewhere around 190-200hp which will make it a lot more lively, althoguh thats about the limit of the standard blower.
    whats next after that then?, is there an upgrade turbo which is not aftermarket?

    is it worth going for a upraded dv
    Audi A4 (B5) 1.8T - new toy
    Peugeot 205 GTI-6 on tb's - ongoing project
    BRG MGF 1.8 VVC - broken atm.

  9. #8
    jcb
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by pugpete1108 View Post
    600 series ti running 14 psi nice car dunno why i sold it.



    whats next after that then?, is there an upgrade turbo which is not aftermarket?

    is it worth going for a upraded dv
    lots of turbo options.
    Ko4, GT28rs, IHI Vf30/34
    depends on budget and goals

    don;t get a dump valve, the ecu is built for use with a recirc valve and you will sound like a chavved up subaru.

    lots of remap options that will see you crack 200bhp on a Ko3/s before you need to start replacing hardware.

    its an addictive thing tuning, be prepared to seel your granny to get that equal lenght tubular manifold to go with your built bottom end and GT3071 conversion!!

    get a chip, sort your suspension and brakes and you will love it

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    lots of turbo options.
    Ko4, GT28rs, IHI Vf30/34
    depends on budget and goals

    don;t get a dump valve, the ecu is built for use with a recirc valve and you will sound like a chavved up subaru.

    lots of remap options that will see you crack 200bhp on a Ko3/s before you need to start replacing hardware.

    its an addictive thing tuning, be prepared to seel your granny to get that equal lenght tubular manifold to go with your built bottom end and GT3071 conversion!!

    get a chip, sort your suspension and brakes and you will love it
    i wouldn't dare get a dump valve i'm too old for all that was thinking an uprated recirc valve instead? to benfit a remap and better plugs etc.

    i'm not looking to spend a fortune as i have too many project (205 gti6 running tbs and megasquirt managment up to about 300bhp per ton)on the go and the wife will kill me but definitly on the list - better suspension (and wheels) then 200bhp and i would be happy given its such a comfortable car with some nice tricky bits thrown in already.
    Audi A4 (B5) 1.8T - new toy
    Peugeot 205 GTI-6 on tb's - ongoing project
    BRG MGF 1.8 VVC - broken atm.

  11. #10
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by pugpete1108 View Post
    600 series ti running 14 psi nice car dunno why i sold it.
    Very nice! I wanted one of those, but as with most cars i wanted... insurance was the problem. What an engine that T-series is though! Me dad had a Vitesse sport. Went like the clappers! Anyway, this is audi forum, so will let you get back to the point! lol!


  12. #11
    audinary's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Frinton-On-Sea
    Posts
    646
    Hey, it's all about the Rovers! First car I had my name on the V5 was an 820e Fastback. When I was 19, had the non-turbo version of the T-Series. Sold it on eBay for 46 when I started with company vehicles....

    Back on topic, You will love the A4 if you've had a fast, turbo'd Rover, and you'll be amazed how much less torque steer there is! It's true they need to be 3.5k or above to start to fly, but to be honest I like that aspect, a sort of split personality where you can pootle around town or go on a B-Road mission.

    Like yours, mine is the sport, the only mod mine has is a set of bigger wheels with stickier tyres, which I recommend as the extra grip really showcases the inherrently decent handling our cars have. I will be chipping it in due course, but I have Glastonbury coming up fast so don't have many spare notes flapping around.

    Welcome to the forum, stick around. I like it here.

    '98 Santorin Blue 1.8t Sport

  13. #12
    jcb
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,077
    those turbo 600 series are the reason a mate of mine has 9 points!

  14. #13
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    15,350
    a standard remap with a FMIC should see you to around 200hp and shouldnt cost much more than 500 all done, remap alone is maybe 300ish and will net a bit less.

    The first stage turbo upgrade is often to a K04, however the turbo is ~6-700quid new and will only see you up to around 220-230hp. Seems a little pointless to me, when a GT28RS is the same money. Obviously the 28RS is going to need a manifold, and your going to have to find a map for it (which means some careful looking, there are a LOT of cowboys out there as some members on here have discovered recently)

    Really depends how much you want to spend, but as with any car, once your desired power level exceeds what the stock turbo can manage, things get expensive. Its just that the 1.8T's blower is so small there isnt all that much headway before you hit that ceiling.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO