Random Temperature Warning

audinary

Complete And Utter Member
Reaction score
Weird one, this. Today teh girlfriend and I had a leisurely day on Frinton Greensward, flying kites. After which we went for a bit of a drive, all low speeds (circa 20mph average) around the local area, very sedate apart from one quick 0-60 dash.

Just as reversing onto the driveway, the animated Coolant Temperature warning came on the DIS, but the gauge still read 90. I shut the engine down and then restarted and no warning.

I'll be keeping my eye on it, won't now be drinving the car until the 50 mile round trip to work tomorrow. Thermostat, water pump both changed 4000 miles ago, coolant fill to proper level.

I'm fitting a new pair of lower door trims on Tuesday, maybe that will cure the problem? :uhm:

Only car ive ever seen the animated coolant thing on was craigs S4, and it was caused by there being no water in the header tank due to it having cracked.

if the temp guage was at 90, i think its perhaps more likely it was the level warning than the overheat warning, as i think the symbols for both are the same?

Could have sworn it was filled... Hey ho, i'll check the level when I get to work tomorrow. Cheers Aragorn

No warnings this morning, 25 mile drive to work on 30, 60 and 80mph roads.

I reckon the level sensor was fooled by my parking the car at a funny angle on my drive, making the level of the coolant all skew-wiff.

(P.S reminds me of when we had a chap come in wondering what a strange warning light was which kept coming up on his CL55 AMG. I desperately wanted to tell him it was the "depreciation warning indicator")