When to change cambelt??

I totally agree with Rockstar. I've got 50K on my s4 and I plan to change the belt by 60K. Having said that I'm not sure when I should. I'm simply assuming based on nearly every other car I've owned has been 60K! I'd better check this. At the mo I'm undecided whether I'll do this myself since I now have the Erwin manuals. It will depend on the quoted cost.

My mate had the timing belt go on his 2.8 V6 quattro. He had to replace the valves, the guides the cams, head skim. All in, I think he was £1200 and that was cheap because he got a local £30/hr garage to fix it!

I see VAGPARTS sell the RS4 heads for £5K. I bet the S4's are not much cheaper, and that's before labour!

Hi Pat,

Price at the dealers is £460 inc VAT but it is worth getting the water pump done too. So add another £60. The main cost is in labour .....

I'm an engineer but don't fancy doing the belt change myself... I guess there is some come back if it lets go after the dealer does it?? anyway I would be chasing them ..my bro is a solicitor ....:)

I know what you mean about doing it yourself.

I was looking through the Ewin maintenance manual - it states the timing belt should be changed at 120Km. I make that 75K miles for the S4. Not a lot of detail on how to perform this task within the maintenance manual. Although it does refer to "repair group 13" What does that mean?

I'm assuming the engine manual will provide considerably more detail than this. Like where to line up the timing marks, recommended tension.

Like you I'm an engineer. I've rebuilt a few engines over the years so I'm up for having a go at this myself to save £500. Heck that's a new set of disks for my mountain bike!

That's providing I can establish all the facts. Looks like the front end of the car unbolts. That will make life considerably easier with respect to access - in theory?

Anyone know if the Bentley CD describes this better than the maintainance section?

Down loaded the Erwin engine manual. Full details can be found on how to replace the belt in there. Looks straight forward enough.

It would appear that it's best to remove the front end of the car for access. Also, there is mention of having to remove the two camshaft sprockets. I'm suprised to read this. Surely once the belt is loose enough then sliding the belt off the camshaft pully is all that's required?

I must check into this. Did we have an Audi tech on this web site or is it on the new RS4 website?