A4 to S4 conversion help needed please

maxtrack

Reaction score
Hello Audi lovers,

Ive just sold my legnum vr4 today and ive been looking for another audi as i miss my old s3.

I came across an audi a4 2.8 quattro 1996 estate which the gear box failed on and has had a full replacement gearbox from an s4 and there after an s4 engine which has now done 40,000 miles. Converted in 2004 from a year 2000 car including 6 sp gearbox,brakes,suspension dash etc etc

Ive spoken to the guy whos selling the car and hes an engineer and seems to know what hes doing but i was wondering what any of you guys thought about it.

Could anyone possibly tell me the mpg and rough amount of miles to a tank too please.

Well there are genuine S4's going for £4k and under at the moment, so unless it's significantly cheaper than that, I wouldn't bother.

mpg and miles to a tank will completely depend on the sort of driving you do. If you mainly do stop start traffic, expect to see around the 250-280 miles to a tank. Motorway miles could see you getting over 300 miles to a tank, depending of course how much you press the loud pedal.

dont know much about S4's but what about uprated brakes etc. and have you thought about insurance probably would work out more than the real s4
i would steer clear get the real deal

Unless it's quite cheap, and you have a decent driving history, and no-claims to get cheap insurance, I'd wait for a genuine S4 to come along.

Yeah, I would suggest the car would be reaaallly hard to insure. In the eyes of the DVLA it will always be a 2.8q.

Think I would be tempted to run away and hide from it before it drags me into financial hell.

Id buy it providing the price was right, but it would have to be either half the price of an S4 or twice the power to be worth the insurance beating. My A4 is twice the insurance that a std 1.8t would be, and will always be a 1.8SE

you need to change insurers (unless its you and not the car that is causing it to be more ;))
go with a modify friendlt insurer like adrian flux.
my insurance was so low with them I moved a bog standard golf to them as well as they were undercutting all the usual suspects significantly.

that said. with 2nd hand car prices being so low I bet this conversion is not low enough to justify. it would have to be cheaper than the original 2.8 to justify it IMO.
there is a guy selling a mint S4 on RS246 for about 5-5.5k

Thanks for the comments.
Im going to have a look at the car this week to see how it is. Insurance isnt a problem for me as unfortunately i used to be an insurance underwriter...

hopefully i can find a nice s4, cos at the moment i keep getting dragged back to you tube and listening to those exhausts......

What ever you do dont get a Japanese car unless its and evo....haha

Let u guys know on how the viewing goes, cheers again.

I am with Flux's mate. 37 full NCB 1.8se with engine swap to 240 ish BHP 1.8t with all the trimmings. This year it was a tad under £500, last year it was £900, both underwritten by highway. Grrenlight beat them slightly but didnt have breakdown cover, so i had Flux price match and throw in the breakdown cover, its a necessary evil as we drive Audi's lol

I agree it would have to be something special to justify it. Tell him i woud give him £2000 for it....... (worth a punt) I so need quattro

Bryzan A4 where about you from in south wales as its says only 'just' ive got the border about 2 fields from my back garden haha

Do u go out on any audi meets around south wales?

I seem to remember the car in question,it was for sale near newcastle a few months back.It said the conversion was done from a 2000 car but the clocks which i presumed were matching due to the immobiliser were out of a pre -facelift car so cant of been 2000 !!