Grundig CD Player - standard fitment in 96 A4?

I

imported_bpascua

Hello,

My A4 has a grundig head unit which looks very stock/standard indeed. One thing I hate about it is that you can switch it on when the key is out of the ignition. I know you probably need to remove one of the permanant lives from the head unit. My question is will my head unit have a CODE? if so I am reluctant to pull any wires out as I dont have the code...

Thanks

Brian

Mine did. If you go into the jacket that holds your owners manual and things like that, there should be a manual for the stock head unit. On the first page, there should be a small card, with a tag on it. That should have the code. If not, I'm not sure how to help you.

It's probably worth giving your dealer a quick call as my main dealer over here in London provides the decoding service free of charge. (As long as you can provide proof of ownership)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I spoke to the main dealer in Reading, they want £24 to decode it. It could be worse.

Cheers

Brian

Ouch. The servicing department at Docklands Audi will do it for free. If you are ever in the London area and need your code sorted ask for Wendy.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I think that function (power on with key out) is a function of the CAN-BUS so even if you get to the back of the unit it is unlikely you will be able to disable it without disabling the unit completely. You may be able to just unplug the CAN-BUS connection (the big red plug with only one wire on it), but I don't know what else it uses it for.
The unit should power down after 1 hour with the keys out so it won't flatten your battery.

Hello,

So are you saying that the unit is properly fitted and working by design? I assumed it had been replaced/badly fitted?

Thanks

Brian

Unlikely. I've just had brand new Alpine HU fitted, & unlike the 'orrible Concert HU it replaced, it does not power up unless the keys are in. It's a small sacrifice to make for a radio that works properly & sounds good.

Yes Brian all Audi's allow you to turn the HU on manually without the keys, but only for an hour. It should turn off when you take the keys out, but you can then turn it on again if you so desire.
It's this attention to detail that persuaded me to buy an Audi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Hello,

I wouldnt mind if that was the case, my problem is with the stereo on, if I stop the engine and remove the keys the strereo will continue playing. So I have to remember to switch it off when I leave the car. It would be OK if it went off when I took the keys off - and I was then able to switch it on without the keys, surely this cant be right.

Cheers

Brian

No that's not right. Sounds like they've connected the ignition on live to the permanent live. You can rectify this without disconnecting the permanent live thus not needing the CODE for the radio, but just like bomb disposal, if you make a mistake you'll need the code to get it running again.