Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

Key stuck in ignition barrel!

Earlier at a mates house i turned my car off, went to remove the key but it wouldnt come out of the lock! i could turn the ignition back on but i couldnt start it. when it was locked into a position (i.e. ignition on) it can be twisted quite a bit without any effect. it seems to not be very 'positive' anymore.

eventually i was able to start it and turn it off again, and get the key out. its been fine since, except the key being a bit slack.

time for a new ignition barrel? or is something just a bit loose, or not likly to occur again?
    1999 Audi A4 1.8TQS (Standard)
    2003 VW Golf GT TDi
    2002 Audi S8 4.2 SOLD
    2004 Alfa 156 2.4JTD 20V Veloce SOLD
    2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro tiptronic (Electric heated seats, winter pack, lowered on H&R Springs & 18" A8 sport wheels) SOLD
    1999 Audi A4 1.9TDI 110hp (with full Audi Sports kit) SOLD

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    sounds likely a barrel tbh & I suspect needs recoding for immo aswell given the barrel has the inductive coil for the key to start it, for peace of mind find another one mate or audi.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Sounds like the ignition barrel. Its a plastic part that cracks, its quite common. The part is quite cheap less than 20 I think from Audi.

Replacing it has nothing to do with the imobiliser. Get it done asap. When mine broke, the starter motor kept running and burnt out as well !

If you have a look on audiworld.com there is a good how to guide in the tech section

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    So there's no immo coil round the barrel then because thats how the chip is read to start the car, are you saying its seperate part from the barrel, I dont have elsawin up at moment so cant check.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    think the receiver is in the clocks like VW's aren't they?

6th Gear

Status
    Yes, the receiver's in the instrument cluster on a facelift car.

The aerial (coil) however is around the ignition lock.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok, i will look into this plastic bit. hopefully thats all it is. if i remove the column shroud, will i be able to see the damage/wear?

can the column shroud be removed with the steering wheel in place?

if the imobiliser is in the dash pod, i assume that worst case of needing a new ignition barrel is relativly strait forward swap, without requiring any kind of coding etc by audi? just new key blades.
    Last edited by Mr K; 29th April 2009 at 11:51.
    2003 VW Golf GT TDi
    2002 Audi S8 4.2 SOLD
    2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro tiptronic (Electric heated seats, winter pack, lowered on H&R Springs & 18" A8 sport wheels) SOLD

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Thanks Siena I knew I wasnt talking complete ****** cause the inductive system wont work that far away so the coil must be right next to the key, as I dont have elsa up given sold laptop & new one not setup yet I couldnt be 100% definitive but knew coil was there, but they still have to check keys etc work with immo ok properly with diag, to be 100% sure all functional.

As always Siena very helpful & spot on knowledge.

6th Gear

Status
    Shouldn't need coding though even if the pickup coil is replaced should it ? As the pickup coil only transfers the signal back to the immo chip in the clocks?
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No it shouldnt need coding given it doesnt hold the codes tbh, but whenever replacing barrel, coil etc anything with immo interaction I would always check the systems work fully & no errors showing, so yes you are correct to a degree mate.

2nd Gear

Status
    i will have a look this weekend if i get a chance. see if i cant see the problem, ill keep y ou posted! lets hope this isnt anything too major! eeek!
    2003 VW Golf GT TDi
    2002 Audi S8 4.2 SOLD

6th Gear

Status
    Nick, if it's the housing that's bust, bear in mind, they're different between auto and manual versions.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok, will hopefully have a look at the weekend after ive done the cam belt!
    2003 VW Golf GT TDi
    2002 Audi S8 4.2 SOLD

1st Gear

Status
    No need to worry about recoding anything if its just the plastic part thats broken. I know this for sure as I have done this on mine. Check this out :-
    http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec91.shtml

2nd Gear

Status
    thats brilliant! thanks for the link. as i said, if the cam belt all goes to plan and i have an hour spare i will take it appart and have a look.

still a bit worried though; everyone seems to be suffering from the swich getting stuck in the 'start position', where as mine wasnt stuck in any position in particular (i could rotate it from off, to ignition on, to start) but i couldnt withdraw it from the lock barrel.

again, thanks for the link!
    2003 VW Golf GT TDi
    2002 Audi S8 4.2 SOLD

1st Gear

Status
    No problem.

TBH I would order the part and fit it before you do the cambelt. Once it breaks it can leave you stranded and if your unlucky (as I was) it can jam your starter motor on and destroy that as well ! (Which is a pig of a job)