Headlight adjustment

kgough

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows the correct way to adjust my headlight beams (ie how high and left/right) or is this something best left to my local garage? The reason for needing the adjustment is that I have fitted some facelift projector type units to my '97 2.8 A4 quattro avant and they are illuminating only about 2 feet in front of me!!

An old DIY trick I was taught many years ago was to drive up against a wall, and mark a cross with a chalk in line with the dead centre of the dipped beam bulb. Then reverse back about 30 feet, switch the dipped lights on and adjust the beams so that the centre of the light falls just below & to the left of the chalk cross.

Haven't tried it for a long time, but I'm sure it still works.

No, they are cheaper non audi ones, so they don't have the motors in them! I will try the wall type adjustment and see how it goes! Cheers.

I haven't even thought about that, mmmm. I will quickly set them up tonight now it's dark then look at the motors tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

No probs. I remember some technical article on audiworld about changing lights over when he was upgrading to projectors. He cut his wings so he bought what I presume were the oem 1-piece ones, but the lights you've got might well need them to. worth a look!

My projectors allow the level motors to be fitted, there was a variety of adapters and seals included. I assume to allow different motor types to be fitted!!