newbie dash fault pls help!

I

imported_absautos

hi all, i have a '98 a4 1.6 and the disply section of the dash(where it shows the multi function display, radio stations etc) sometimes dont work i know it can be switched on and off via the wiper switch but it still dnt work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is it completely dead or just faded? These units are notorious for fading. Mine does it from time to time (well, quite a lot of the time, actually).

There's no known cure other that complete replacement which is expensive. I've seen upwards of £400 quoted before now.

mine was dead when i bought it, then it decided to work perfectly for about a week and i havnt seen it working since.

[ QUOTE ]
amar said:
mine was dead when i bought it, then it decided to work perfectly for about a week and i havnt seen it working since.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds more like a wiring fault. Have you tested the circuit, & all the connections etc?

have checked the connections behind the radio thats all so far, thought it may be the wiper switch any ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif