It's a different world..

lol thinking of trackdays and expensive porsches, was at a trackday at knockhill recently and a chap turned up in his 997 GT3. It was rather wet and the second lap out he managed to spin it and put it onto the grass in the middle of the hairpin. Then, unlike every other driver there that spun it, he got pulled out, left the track and drove home!

Clearly a pussy!

Yeah.. real shame that people own such amazing cars but don't dare to actually drive them.

Bet a majority of the A4s on here get driven more enthusiastically then most Porsches!

Yeah.. real shame that people own such amazing cars but don't dare to actually drive them.

Maybe he didn't fancy mud covered 'cup' spec tyres on a wet track risking his £120k car?
Surely no harm in that.
Some would say that's sensible...not being a 'pussy'.

Perhaps if you ever get to buy and run a car of that value, you'd think twice of doing a wet trackday, potentially with no insurance. He got a scare...and thought better of it.
Just because you can afford to buy one...doesn't mean you can always afford to take the hit of loosing it all if you crash it.

Surely the fact that he took such a car out on a wet track shows he wasn't a 'pussy'?
I'm damn sure I wouldn't...not Knockhill, not on those tyres.

Bet a majority of the A4s on here get driven more enthusiastically then most Porsches!

I'll invite you along to the next run we go on...and you can find out for yourself. That's if you can keep one in sight...

I'm more impressed by the owners of classic racers, Aston DB2/4s, D-Type Jags etc which get regularly hurled around racetracks. Quite often £250k plus on skinny crossply tyres. They have cojones of steel.

I'll invite you along to the next run we go on...and you can find out for yourself. That's if you can keep one in sight...

Sorry if I've upset you but I know a few Porsche owners and not one of them would ever dream of taking their car to a track.. I think it's a shame.

I presume you have a Porsche then? lol

Nah...I have pictures of random cars in my signature!

For every Porsche bought by some saddo to get the 'badge' or 'prestige' there is at least one bought by an enthusiast that wants what the cars can provide - I have mates with Boxsters, Caymans and 911s of various types...and all are driven 'properly' and well over and above what any A4 other than a well driven RS4 will be fit for.

But I still know when to give it a miss...and a GT3RS in the wet at Knockhill is verging on silly...so I wouldn't have played either.

Im never too sure what i would buy,

Probably a RangeRover Super Charged and a decent Vanquish, without a doubt my favourate car i have ever driven, the noise is amazing although the DB9 was nice we had loads of problems with it, when it was jet washed once the paint sort of disapeerd from the boot lid and the windows never made a great seal round the door so whistled and leaked like hell.

The ferraris are nice but the running costs scare the hell out of me, a service every 3-5k and your not left with much change from 10k.

I also like the new RS6 Saloon and AMG Mercs it just depends at that point in my life what sort of car i needed and what it was been used for.

Sorry if I've upset you but I know a few Porsche owners and not one of them would ever dream of taking their car to a track.. I think it's a shame.

I'm not upset...just pointing out that not all Porsche owners are of that type.

I've done 18 laps of the 'ring in mine, uninsured. Had it been wet, I wouldn't have done any. Simple risk vs reward really.
I couldn't stomach writing off an £80k car and getting nothing back for it.

On a dry day though...I'd give it a go.

Although I'd like to see many of the more exotic 911s get used more...you can't fail to understand their value and how smashing a potentially 'rare' car will make you feel, financially and otherwise.

I'm not upset...just pointing out that not all Porsche owners are of that type.

I've done 18 laps of the 'ring in mine, uninsured. Had it been wet, I wouldn't have done any. Simple risk vs reward really.
I couldn't stomach writing off an £80k car and getting nothing back for it.

On a dry day though...I'd give it a go.

Although I'd like to see many of the more exotic 911s get used more...you can't fail to understand their value and how smashing a potentially 'rare' car will make you feel, financially and otherwise.

Totally agree that you need to asses the risk but as you said it is a shame that a number of Porsche owners are buying a badge.

It's shocking how many Porsche owners don't even drive their Porsche to a Club Meet as it's either raining or SORN.
WTF?
It's waterproof, it's not some cruddy Italian effort whos electrics will short out in the wet...use it all year round!

there is a gemstone 968RS that lives down my road.
don't know the guy but the helmet and netting in the back, full harnesses give away his intentions.
Parked outside rain or shine.
last time I saw it he had clearly been "enjoying himself" as the wing mirror had taken a beating and the front offside corner had smacked into something.

still parked outside with his helmet in the back.
belive he uses it daily!

used as intended.
Still £35k worth is a long way from £130k.