any one got one

tazzy baby

Welsh & Proud
Reaction score
Hi guys has any one got a good steering rack for my car shes a 1.8t sport avant 97 p plate aeb engine code i think mines gone as i cant find any probs with the arms so its down to the rack and cand afford one as im still out of work hope you can help

Thanks guys

Tazzy baby

what is wrong with yours?

I had knocking on the left hand side and thought it was the leg or one of the arms :uhm: but ive had a look at them and they all look fine but i found a bit of play in the rack and its got worse since i changed the cv joints / pads and discs on the weekend and now the noise is both sides:banghead:

i have to say that i'd be looking at the arms before the rack. Our cars on 181k on the original rack, but the arms were knackered at 150k

Its sometimes quite hard to pinpoint the noise when the cars in the air, might be worth taking it to an MOT station that has one of those ramps with the moveable bush test plates to pinpoint where the movement is coming from...

Cheers mate i will do but im a bit straped for cash at the mo still out of work and on the last of my savings

well jack the motor up and give the wheel a really good shake in every direction to see if you can detect any movement.

When ours died (both times), trying to "Steer" the wheel showed a huge amount of play in the top two balljoints

thats kind of why I asked.
I have had cars with 250k on teh clock and no issues with steering racks. so many other joints that can display issues in steering I would get an MOT place to look at it.
decent fitter with pinpoint it in 5 mins on a ramp.
slip him a fiver for some tea and biscuits with a promise you will bring it back for the work when you get paid...always works for me!

go and see dai or alan in treads mukka they should sort it for you, or go to the one on brecon road, a mate of mine works there so jus slip him a drink and they will whip it up on the ramp and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. the worst they can say is no but who says no these days to a drink ha