Transmission

jonathanA4

Reaction score
I've noticed something weird with my transmission and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what the issue might be. It seems to happen when I'm coasting (slowing down). When the car downshifts from 3rd to 2nd around 50 KM/h I believe, it gives a bit of a "pulling" feeling and slows the car a bit as it downshifts. It's not terrible or anything, but it doesn't seem as smooth as it should be either. I'm going to get it checked out, but was wondering if anyone had input or similar instances of this issue?

Do you mean that, as the downshift occurs, the car slows down rapidly - as if the brakes were being applied?
If so, that is a normal effect when the gearing takes hold.
Maybe the transition is not as smooth as it should be. That could be a minor issue; it might be low on fluid.
But you have the best idea - get it checked by a competent tranny mechanic.

Sounds to me like you're just compression braking. The jump between 2nd and 3rd gear is much larger than most of the other ratios, as I've noticed. To downshift to 2nd, it takes quite a bit of throttle to keep it smooth. Is this the feeling you're talking about?

ImolaS4, it's pretty much what you're describing. That the car slows down as the downshift occurs as if brakes were being applied slightly for a second.

There's no strange noises or clunking or anything, upshifts are all smooth. I never noticed anything like it on any of my old cars (which all sucked). I don't think anything major is wrong (if anything at all) I thought possibly the fluid might need to be topped up as you suggested, but if something was a little off I'd hate to let it linger and get worse.

Yeah, it sounds more like something you're not used to feeling. But there's no harm in having it checked.