Engine coolant temperature sensor

liam_mcf

Reaction score
Looking for one for a 1996 P Reg 1.8T

Anyone any ideas where i could pick one up from?

Been to a car part place round the corner, they have another two sensors but the one i'm looking for!

Even a part number would be handy, struggling to find the correct one

Thank you for any help

I can help...what color is your current switch, and does your car have air con?

It does have air con mate, i'm not 100% sure on the colour but i will check when i'm home from work....hopefully in a couple of hours :)

thanks!!

ANY AUDI DEALERSHIP WILL SUPPLY U THE CORRECT SENSOR ONCE THEY HAVE THE CHASSIS NUMBER, THERE VERY CHEAP I BOUGHT ONE RECENTLY FOR 25 EUROS SO IT B EVEN CHEAPER IN STERLING

Can't seem to locate the sensor at all!!

I know what it looks like......i think :tocktock:

Been told its located at the rear of the engine bay, sorry but very limited knowledge of engines...

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Its at the back of the cylinder head.

If you look down the gap between the cylinder head and the firewall, you will see a black metal pipe running across the back of the head. In the middle of this pipe there is a round boss with the sensor in, you'll see the electrical plug sticking out the top.

You'll need to pop the connector off to see the color of the sensor itself.

just out of interest are the green and the blue sensors different and if so in what way as , ive just replaced on both cars the s4 sorted but the other one seems to have made a difference but seems to not move much at all . thanks in advance

Its at the back of the cylinder head.

If you look down the gap between the cylinder head and the firewall, you will see a black metal pipe running across the back of the head. In the middle of this pipe there is a round boss with the sensor in, you'll see the electrical plug sticking out the top.

You'll need to pop the connector off to see the color of the sensor itself.

Thank you for this, will have a look when its light tomorrow! Cheers

just out of interest are the green and the blue sensors different and if so in what way as , ive just replaced on both cars the s4 sorted but the other one seems to have made a difference but seems to not move much at all . thanks in advance

What do you mean by not move much?

A working CTS/Instrument Cluster will come round to exactly 90c and sit there once warmed up.

The cluster has a buffer built in so that any temperature in the "normal" range (which is around 80-100c) will show 90, and the guage will only ever move if its outside this range...

it pretty much stays on just above 0 and if i am not driving in traffic amy get to about a quarter, i put a blue sensor in as thats what came out . The old one didnt seem that bad tho

faulty thermostat?

If its all working correctly it should read 90 all the time.

What does vagcom say its reading?

Ok due to aragorn's spot on description i found it no problem, took the plug off and the sensor is blue in colour.

Siena would you happen to have one that would do the trick?

If so let me know a price :)

Ok due to aragorn's spot on description i found it no problem, took the plug off and the sensor is blue in colour.

Siena would you happen to have one that would do the trick?

If so let me know a price :)

Liam, I have a couple here, will let you know how much tomorrow.