BUYING A4 COMON FAULTS? M,N,P REG?

STFA

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Sorry for that - it's just that this question comes up every other day and all you have to do is
Search The Forum Archives.
The archives are there for a reason.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Anyway...
Control arms.
DV.
Turbo lines.
and everything else you would check on any car.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Don't think he needs to worry with DV and turbo lines on a 1.8se !

[ QUOTE ]
madkebab said:
Don't think he needs to worry with DV and turbo lines on a 1.8se !

[/ QUOTE ]
Well... I'm in the States and I don't know the SE model (no such model in the States).
Any 1.8 engine over here is a turbo. So... my mistake!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well... I'm in the States and I don't know the SE model (no such model in the States).
Any 1.8 engine over here is a turbo. So... my mistake!

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries mate, SE stands for Special Equipment over here.

OK. Educate me.
What special equipment is included in the SE?

[ QUOTE ]
What special equipment is included in the SE?

[/ QUOTE ]
Found this list for the new A4, similar for the older B5 models,"The SE pack of alloy wheels, 'concert' radio, driver's information system and leather steering wheel and gearknob adds £610 to the bill".

Wow! Seems unfair NOT to include those items on any model.

[ QUOTE ]
ImolaS4 said:
Wow! Seems unfair NOT to include those items on any model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi UK tend to offer two optional equipment packages (bundles) at an additional cost:

SE - Special Edition
or
Sports

The attached current UK price list should explain things a little better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

HI MATE
please remember i am new(ish)to this forum and yes i maybe should have checked back 1st! BUT if it gets asked "EVERY OTHER DAY" why not have a listing on the main audi forum page??????????? PS thank for filling in wot "SE" means was confusing cause i have had a look in them and there isnt anything special in them! usall VAG!

You will have to excuse our Imolas4. His 'personal soapbox' is 'newbies' not searching the archives before asking a question and 'bad' grammer!!!

[ QUOTE ]
fallmonk said:
Hi Folks looking to buy a A4 1.8se or there abouts not really dealt with the A4 can people point out the things to look out for ie common faults? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum & congrats on buying an A4. As you read the posts & add contributions of your own, you'll get to know the characters of the various contributors. We're just people, & we all know how unreliable they are?!

As to the car, other irritants to look out for are a in-dash driver display unit that fades (no cure, other that complete replacement which is mega-expensive, so live with it) and a Concert stereo head unit, with a volume control that has a mind of its own.

Don't let any of it (or any of us) spoil your enjoyment of a great car.

JEFF

[ QUOTE ]
[b and a Concert stereo head unit, with a volume control that has a mind of its own.

JEFF

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, forgot to add. There IS a cure for the dodgy volume control on the Concert HU. You throw the appalling Concert HU in the bin and replace it with an Alpine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
that wigginer said:
[censored]! I did it again! I said Grammer rather than Grammar!!!

Bad boy ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheheh! I just thought that was you being ironic. Memo to all:

Don't forget to use the spoolchock.

[ QUOTE ]
that wigginer said:
You will have to excuse our Imolas4. His 'personal soapbox' is 'newbies' not searching the archives before asking a question and 'bad' grammer!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I am a bit of a b!tch about that stuff - oh well, I'll try to curb my emotions from now on. I've noticed that you UK blokes are far more tolerant of that than those of us in the States. It's a lesson well learned here for me and probably why I like it here more than the U.S. websites - it's a friendlier atmosphere.

{Humbly backs away...}

[ QUOTE ]
fallmonk said:
HI MATE
please remember i am new(ish)to this forum and yes i maybe should have checked back 1st! BUT if it gets asked "EVERY OTHER DAY" why not have a listing on the main audi forum page??????????? PS thank for filling in wot "SE" means was confusing cause i have had a look in them and there isnt anything special in them! usall VAG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point!!

I have wished/wanted many a "sticky" post to cover all of these types of basic questions. A FAQ section would be very wise to post.

Sorry.... once again the git from the States doesn't know what these initials (terms) mean in the UK.

Can someone enlighten me what M, N, P, and REG are all about?

M reg is 94-95, N is 95-96 P reg is 96-97 etc etc. Its just a way of the registration plate being marked with the year of the vehicle. Mine starts R , therefore she is a 97-98

HTH

[ QUOTE ]
ImolaS4 said:
Uh Huh... Thanks again. I'm enlightened!

[/ QUOTE ]
Not for long, though. Just when you thought you'd cracked it, they swopped from a nice simple system of prefix letters identifying the year of registration to a half-yearly one in 1999, then a couple of years after that, changed the whole (censored) thing all over again. Now we have double digit numbers changing half-yearly, to denote when a car is registered. What a mess!

Oh jeesh! Why even waste the time with that? Our license plates are just random numbers. They have no other purpose but to identify the registration of the car.

If we had standard registration plates which didn't denote the age of the car, then no one would want to buy a new car when there's is a year old as no one would know the difference!

[ QUOTE ]
ajmackie said:
If we had standard registration plates which didn't denote the age of the car, then no one would want to buy a new car when there's is a year old as no one would know the difference!

[/ QUOTE ]
We know the difference because it's listed for crying out loud!! So what anyway. If someone wants to save money and buy an older car, so be it. Other people will buy the newer one because they want the latest model. I don't understand how the plates solve anything for you blokes.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ah, but methinks AJMACKIE was being ironic. You see, over here, there's a group of people who need not only to have a brand new car, but to be seen to have one. But first, some history.

Ever since 1963, the UK 's car registration system has been based on an annual (or now bi-annual) identification mark, so one can tell at a glance how old a car is. This has its uses but it has also created this wonderful snobbery of "having the latest letter". It also has a massive effect on the second-hand values of cars that are notionally of similar age, but have different letters on them. Before the switch to bi-annual changes in 1999, the letter changed once a year on 1st August. It was estimated that up to 70% of all new privately registered new cars were bought in the month of August (and about half of them on the 1st day). People would queue up to be first to drive their new car off the forecourt at one minute past Midnight on 1st August!!! Can you imagine the effect that had on the resource planning, workflow management, stock control & cash-flow of the dealerships?

Now we have the twice-yearly change, it's not so noticeable as it used to be, but you do still see these self-satisfied idiots preening around in their brand new motors on 1st March & 1st September. In fact, if you really want to have some fun, drive up alongside a newly-registered car at the traffic lights on 1st March. Then when the lights change, don't tear away at the speed out light, just move away at exactly the same speed, but drift fractionally towards the side of their car & watch the look of blind panic in their eyes as they think you're going to scratch it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

Thanks for the brief history jdp1962, but I still don't understand the obsession - and why would the government want to contribute to the egos of, "...these self-satisfied idiots"??

I mean why is it so important to "tell at a glance" how old a car is??
Big friggin' deal! Who cares? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

I guess the more I'm learning about this, the more ludicrous it seems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ImolaS4 said:

I guess the more I'm learning about this, the more ludicrous it seems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course it's ludicrous!! You did realise I was I was taking the pi** out of it, didn't you? It leads to the most absurd situations. Here's some examples.

Hardly anyone used to buy a new car privately in July. Dealers would have to offer massive incentives to get new stock out of the door in July, in order to meet their monthly sales targets & get their bonuses from the manufacturer. Either that, or they would "pre-register" the cars in the name of the dealership, run them as demonstrators for a couple of months and then sell them as nearly new at a huge dicount to people who wanted a new car, but couldn't quite afford to pay full price in August.

Two identical cars, with the same mileage, and the same age. One registered in July, one in August. The guy who bought in July might have paid 10% less, but in a year's time, his car will be worth 15% less.

If a dealer sends 70% of its total annual output out of the door in one month, how well prepared do you think those cars are going be? If you are one of 200 people collecting your new car from the same place on 1st August, how much care & attention will the salesman devote to you and your car? How many corners do you think the dealer will cut in getting the car ready?

The whole thing is madness as all it does is pander to peoples' vanities, and totally distort the market.

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:Well of course it's ludicrous!! You did realise I was I was taking the pi** out of it, didn't you? It leads to the most absurd situations. Here's some examples.

Hardly anyone used to buy a new car privately in July.
<font color="blue"> (1) </font> <font color="red">Dealers would have to offer massive incentives to get new stock out of the door in July, in order to meet their monthly sales targets &amp; get their bonuses from the manufacturer. Either that, or they would "pre-register" the cars in the name of the dealership, run them as demonstrators for a couple of months and then sell them as nearly new at a huge dicount to people who wanted a new car, but couldn't quite afford to pay full price </font> in August.

<font color="blue"> (2) </font> <font color="red">Two identical cars, with the same mileage, and the same age. One registered in July, one in August. The guy who bought in July might have paid 10% less, but in a year's time, his car will be worth 15% less. </font>

<font color="blue"> (3) </font> <font color="red"> If a dealer sends 70% of its total annual output out of the door in one month, how well prepared do you think those cars are going be? If you are one of 200 people collecting your new car from the same place on 1st August, how much care &amp; attention will the salesman devote to you and your car? How many corners do you think the dealer will cut in getting the car ready? </font>

The whole thing is madness as all it does is pander to peoples' vanities, and totally distort the market.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well no Sh!t...

<font color="blue"> (1) </font> But our dealers do that anyway, because the new models come out in September. That's just a given! The dealers begin to discount their inventory in August - big TV ads, etc. Dealers are known for having some "Brand New" models still on their lots that are up to two years old - they advertise them though - there is no secret! If you want a 2002 Audi A6 that has 3 miles on the odometer, I'm sure you can find one here at an Audi dealer - and he'll sell it at a great discount. And there are buyers here who will look for these kinds of bargains. So why is that such a big deal???

<font color="blue"> (2) </font> Pardon me, but that's absurd economics - economics that must work in the UK only - it wouldn't be tolerated here. If the car is a 2004 in July and another is a 2004 in August, then they are both 2004 vehicles. Period! If you buy a 2004 A6 in November instead of the 2005 that is on the lot parked next to the 2004, then you probably got a great deal. If the 2005 is purchased by your neighbor the next day, he probably paid more. Two years later, if both are on the road (with the same condition and miles), any potential second-hand (used car) buyer will look to see when they "rolled" (a term here for when it left the dealer's lot). The roll dates will be one day apart. So the resale price will be slightly lower for the 2004 just because its a 2004, but you paid less anyway. So it all comes out in the wash (an American expression). There is no big deal to any of this. Everyone got what they wanted. Where does advertising the year of manufacture change the story??

<font color="blue"> (3) </font> Well, that's just plain stupid on the buyers' part, but it's being condoned by the govt. and obviously the dealers, too.

I know this isn't your fault, but what a mess! And absolutely trivial!
Thanks for the chat though; always interested in these kinds of cultural differences.

Basically there's a lot of competition to impress other people becuase they feel they need to impress! Sad I know!

Like jdp1962 says, some people would buy the newer plate car over the older plate car. This is could purely be to impress other people that they have got the money to buy the newer car.

Our car manufacturers bring out new models whenever they have finised them and keep them running for a long time. For instance, there is hardly and difference between a 95(M) and a 99(T) registered Audi A4. But some people would pay more because it is a newer car, not because it's newer, but because their neighbours might think ooooh they've got a newer car aren't they good! That is the shallowness of some people!!!

Not saying everyone is like that, just some people!

Our old number plate which stopped around 2001 is for instance on my car ...

S128 UBA

S = '99 (pre August '99)
128U = random identifier
BA = area car was registered

our new reg which started after the year 2001, for instance

GD 51 YUN

51 = 5 is half way through, would be 0 if start of year and 1 means the year 1 that they changed, ie 2001
GD = area bought from (i think!) and YUN = random identifier (I think)

So my point is if then number plate was 23FGHB54 and none of those numbers meants anything at all, no one would go round changing their car each year as no one would know that it was brand new so they wouldn't be impressing anyone. For instance BMW 3 series been running for a good 5 years in the latest shape so who knows it is 2000 or 2004 if the reg never said.

This is one reason why people buy private plates, to hide the age of their car so no one knows how old it is. Where as some people will buy a brand new S class or sports car and leave the standard plate on so everyone knows they've got plenty of money to have it brand new!!

Hope this explains what I meant ImolaS4!!!!

Adding to this some people like private plates as it adds something either comical or personal to a car!

[ QUOTE ]
red_a4 said:
Adding to this some people like private plates as it adds something either comical or personal to a car!

[/ QUOTE ]

Er..no, it doesn't. They may add to the owner's sense of satisfaction and/or self-esteem, but they add nothing to the car.

sometimes, private plates can sound cheezy...ie. AUDIMYWAY, AUDIHERE, etc.. but when done createvly, they really do look cool. other than that, the "impressers" are in the wrong feild...if you want to impress me, speed is where it counts. if its a newer car but an older car is way faster, guess what....im impressed by the older care. you guys feel me?

I just look at a brand new car and think "what a tw*t" he's lost 20% as soon as he drove it off the forecourt. Every morning he drives to work with £50+ per day depreciation clanging in his head. It's all to do with the ludicrous one upmanship perpetuated originally in the company car world. Now this world has been turned on its head i.e. it makes no sense to have a company car anymore unless you do zero company miles, the obsession with "look at my new car" now seems even crazier.
If you opt out of this world (like me) or were never part of it in the first place you can just laugh at the waste.
As for private plates, just crazy unless you get a real one like BEG4IT, or HOT80X which are kind of cool.

[ QUOTE ]
ajmackie said:......This is could purely be to impress other people that they have got the money to buy the newer car.

Our car manufacturers bring out new models whenever they have finised them and keep them running for a long time. For instance, there is hardly and difference between a 95(M) and a 99(T) registered Audi A4. But some people would pay more because it is a newer car, not because it's newer, but because their neighbours might think ooooh they've got a newer car aren't they good! That is the shallowness of some people!!!

.....So my point is if then number plate was 23FGHB54 and none of those numbers meants anything at all, no one would go round changing their car each year as no one would know that it was brand new so they wouldn't be impressing anyone. For instance BMW 3 series been running for a good 5 years in the latest shape so who knows it is 2000 or 2004 if the reg never said.

........Hope this explains what I meant ImolaS4!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I understand all of your points, and those before you, <font color="red"> BUT....</font>
We have the same people here - morons who think that the latest/newest car is better. In fact we have more of these shllow people trying to outbid one another when a new car (never before been released) comes to market. They want to be the first one in their neighborhood (or state) to have the new car. They are the true morons because the dealers always mark up the price way above the suggested retail price from the manufacturer - and these idiots pay the extra money!

But I still don't understand the audacity of the govt. to need the year of the car emblazoned on the license plate. I mean, why should they care? The VIN identifies the year of the car already. So, adding the year to a license plate is merely advertising.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> ....if then number plate was 23FGHB54 and none of those numbers meants anything at all, no one would go round changing their car each year as no one would know that it was brand new so they wouldn't be impressing anyone. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding me??!!!! Who does that sort of thing? Changing their car each year!!? Oh please!.... even we (those of us in the States) don't do that here - and we have money to burn! Who cares if it's brand new today or if you got it last year? Jeeeeesh! It's more important, to the shallow people here, that they have a nice car - like a BMW 7 series, M-B S Class, Audi A8, Maybach, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc. - not how old it is. If it's a high end luxury sedan, then that's what's impressive to them. It doesn't matter that it "might" be last years or even older, it's a BMW 750!!! Then they can go around wearing their cool sunglasses with their chests puffed up!

It just seems like overkill to advertise the year of the car on the plate. I agree along the same line as what GoSPeeDxRaCeR said except, Id be more impressed that my neighbor has a Mercedes AMG 55 because it's an AMG 55. I don't care if he bought it new today, if he bought it used today, or if he bought it new or used last year . The point is: he has an AMG 55!! Period. I'm impressed he has an AMG 55.

I have to agree with you Andy. I just bought my 2001 S4 for more than 10% under the book value. I could have spent that same money on a newer, though lesser vehicle and been agonizing over the depreciation, and wishing I had more features like this S4 has.

As for vanity plates, I'm actually thinking that a plate reading OOOO (capital letter 'o's) would look pretty neat on a plate, right under the Audi rings. North Carolina doesn't require a front plate, so the front is left looking really clean. Our plates here don't have any kind of identifying features as those described above. They are simply mass produced in alphanumerical order with 3 letter first, a space then 4 numbers.