A4 1.8T Sport 1997 18" Wheels/Tyres

norad97

Reaction score
I have just bought a set of 18" genuine Audi wheels for my car.
of a 2007 A6 Avant.
offset 43 but tyres are 245/40/18 and are to wide and foul the supension.

What tyre would be best for these wheels,
I was thinking 225/40/18, but will thes be alright with the offset?

Want to clear the supension so no rubbing.

I currently run 17" Avus S4 wheels with 225/45/17 no problems.

Thanks

stick some spacers on and use your exisiting tyres
5-10mm should be fine

if you sell the s4 wheels i may be interested.

If I use spaces, wont the bolts be to short? is 10mm enough? I thought is should be
20mm?

20mm and you foul the arches.
you need bolts for any spacers IMO.
H&R hubcentric with bolts about £150.
4 new tyres? lot more, and if you sell the spacers on when you get the right size you will get most of that back

I have some later 8x18" Audi rims on mine... with an ET of 45. I'm running 215/40/18's on it. 225's will fit, but they are ****** close to the upright and I didn't feel comfortable running them like that.

the S4 wheels are ET45 with 225 tyres so i think you should be ok with clearance, plus you've got ET43 so there will be a tiny bit more room in there with the 18's on.

I wouldnt recommend running the 245's, you can always remove them and put them on ebay, recouping some of the cost. Also means you can fit nice sticky Eagle F1's while your there, rather than what ever junk they came with!

I have some later 8x18" Audi rims on mine... with an ET of 45. I'm running 215/40/18's on it. 225's will fit, but they are ****** close to the upright and I didn't feel comfortable running them like that.

I ran 225's on 8x18's and was fine.
probably 2mm clearance inside on the uprights. close but the fitter assured me he had squeezed some much wider ones on an RS6 that were closer!!
still...**** tingling stuff if you ever go a flat!

I havent tried yet but I wonder if I could fit the 245 on the back and change
the fronts to 225.
Two of the 245 are like new and I could fit them on the back if they fit?
I will try the weekend unless you no they dont fit.

Get some pics up forthwith!

My 17" A6 rims are being refurbed as we speak and will go on soon, I'm going to risk going without spacers despite the closeness of the upright.

My sphincter still clenches at the thought though... time will tell, and I may carry a pair of emergency 16"s around for a while!

The tyre cant really get any closer to the upright, as the upright moves with the wheel, so if it clears, then it will always clear, unless a wheel bearing dies or something.

But if your wheel bearing dies enough to let the wheel move that far, you've bigger things to worry about than a bit of tyre scrub!

I view spacers as a bodge, and wouldnt run them unless REALLY necessary, and even then, i'd want hubcentric ones...

The BBS CH wheels we got for Craigs S4 are from an A3, so are ET54, hence we required some spacers, but the offset was far enough out that we could get some decent 15mm hubcentric ones, ideally we'd have gone for 10 or 12mm to get ET44 or ET42, but the 15mm ones were dirt cheap and came with bolts, and there should be enough room for the extra 5mm without it looking like the wheels dont fit properly.