Headlights

MacaveliMC

High Torque
Reaction score
Hey I have a question about replacing headlights on my 2001 Audi A4 Quattro.

My passenger side headlight is currently not working. When I turn on the lights, it kinda blinks three times and doesn't turn on.....

I am confused as to what parts I need to get. An auto parts store said the part is $300 and includes the ballast. Alternatively I found a bulb online for about $100 but it didn't say anything about the ballast. I don't have any experience so far with these high intensity light systems so if someone could give me a clue it would be much appreciated, thanks!

The blinking is the ignitor trying to 'light' the bulb. Not sure if a damaged bulb would still blink though.

Does sound like it could be the ballast unfortunately, which isn't cheap. I just sold a 2nd hand one for £150, so $300 actually sounds pretty good value for a new one.

I'd suggest buying a pair of new bulbs anyway. Fit it to see if it solves the problem. If it doesn't, you've got some bright new bulbs for the new ballast!

Well it's kinda a really low blink, not like a headlight on blink. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I suppose i'll take it apart and look at it first.

No it doesn't stay on, I believe it's just three really short, quick blinks, like something is trying to lite inside. The blinks are not nearly as bright as the headlight being on.

Would I be able to tell what the problem is if I switched the bulb from the drivers side to the passengers side? Like I said I'm not even sure how these HID systems work yet so I don't even know if I can do that.

Well, it looks like the ballast is not bad! I switched the bulbs and now the other side is working. So now my only question is, does it matter what new bulbs I get? 5000k? 6000k? 8000k? I was thinking of ordering them from www.plasmagarage.com but if anyone knows of a better place, that'd be sweet.

^^^ I'd get the stock 4300k Philips.

There are cheaper options, but the Philips last years.