S4 Clutch

EnzoS4

Reaction score
been in for a service and Audi have said the clutch is on its way out. this is the original clutch, so about 8ish yrs old... 100k miles, which I think is great for a clutch but could be why so expensive.

looking to get this done, but most of the cost if labour and wondering what else is worth doing..? like engine mounts, gearbox mounts.?

how old is your clutch and if you had it replaced what was the cost.?

I would start by removing my car from teh audi forecourt, that will save you about a grand straight away!
100k is pretty good for the original clutch.

wouldn't bother with replacing mounts unless they are also knackered or you are driving liek you stole it and want to lose the sloppy sensation

how exactly can Mr Audi know the clutch is away....

I presume its not slipping, as you'd have noticed that, so what is the problem...

^^^ Not all faults to do with clutches are related to slippage though, Aragorn.

A worn friction disc could cause excessive pedal travel, without slipping, especially if the car's driven with some degree of mechanical sympathy.

A worn pressure place can cause a change in pedal feel - the pedal could become extremely hard to operate.

that's what Audi said the pedal is hard to operate.. I do find 1st some times hard to select.. looks like a new clutch..

if your handy with the tools just get a shot of an engine crane and do it yourself. thats what i did. it may be a pain to do but its worth the few hundred quid you save.

You may need a new flywheel too.

ian52 - I'm ok with the little bits, but wouldn't want to tackle this...

siena - how would you know, when the gearbox is out...?

what's included in a clutch kit - the clutch obviously, what about pressure plate.?
then you have a flywheel.

The pressure plate and the release bearing generally come with the clutch kit.

Not sure how you would check the flywheel, as if its not slipping or juddering it might well be fine.

S4 clutch doesn't come as a kit, unfortunately.

The pressure plate, friction disc and release bearing are all priced individually.
I'd replace the pressure plate with an RS4 item while you're there.

I've done the same to an S4 belonging to a member on here, went back together today.

I replaced the dual mass flywheel with a single-mass item too. As is common with DM flywheels in turbocharged or higher-power Audi's, the original showed signs of overheating, with prominent hot-spots...

03042009077.jpg

Old and new...

03042009078.jpg

New item in place...

03042009079.jpg