Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: Losing boost...

Low Life

Status

Losing boost...

If I give my '00 (83k) 1.8T Sport a fair old boot and take it through the rev range quite aggressively I sometimes lose turbo boost altogether.

I don't do this very often, so it's not a major issue right now, but I'm sure it could turn into one in the future.

Once I come to my destination, I switch off, do what I need to do and come back to the car and everything is fine again.

Am I right in thinking it's the 'N75 valve' that causes this... or is it something more serious? Will the fact that it's been re-mapped have anything to do with it? I've not got any receipts for the work carried out (previous owner lost it) but I do know it's a LOT faster than a standard 1.8T.

Cheers for any help...

Giles

2. # ADS
    ADS

Low Life

Status
    Bueller...? Bueller...? Anyone...?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    It could be the map, or it could be the N75 valve allowing the boost to spike too much. Do you have vagcom and have you got any fault codes showing up?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    You need to pull he codes, if she is hitting limp mode, it will have regisered a reason

Low Life

Status
    Found a few things wrong with it today while we were replacing the timing belt (what a pig of a job!)

There were TWO dump valves on it... the standard recirculating one in the correct place, then an adjustable atmospheric dump valve between the two outlets on the air intake pipe...?!?!?! (it's got a cone filter on it).

So, we took the aftermarket item and placed it where the standard one was and then put the engine breather back into the intake pipe and disconnected the thin air-pipes that had been t-boned off the inlet manifold.

God knows what the person who put this together was thinking...

Not run it again yet though as I'm waiting on auxilliary drive belts to finish the job off.

Will let you know if it makes any difference tomorrow when I finish the job off... hopefully - if I can find the belts I need!

Low Life

Status
    Think I've fukked up the dump valves by replacing/moving them.

It's now only half as powerful as it was before. Think I need to get it all back to standard... so I need to find a donor 1.8T for some pipe-work.

Anyone know of a vehicle that's willing to donate pipe parts?