power locks not working ?!

polskiaudi

Reaction score
after i had some work done on my 97 audi a4 1.8t the power locks dont work there is a loud humming noise coming from the back. does anyone know wat the problem is cuz i am gonna need gas soon and the gas tank door is locked:(

does anyone have a diagram that shows how the lock mecahnism works???

after i had some work done on my 97 audi a4 1.8t the power locks dont work there is a loud humming noise coming from the back. does anyone know wat the problem is cuz i am gonna need gas soon and the gas tank door is locked:(

The central locking works by means of a bi-pressure pump.
Suction to open, and pressure to lock.

The pump has a graphite impeller, and there are vacumn lines connecting the pump to the door actuators, trunk and fuel flap actuators. If any of these pipes split (usually where they pass through the drommets ito the doors) the pump will run on for a while.

The graphite impeller is fragile, and will often crack. So the pump will work, but with no impeller, won't generate any pressure to lock the doors, or vacumn to unlock them.

To open the fuel flap, you need to pull the trim inside the luggage compartment (driver's side) free from the body, and just before the area of the flap, you'll need to disengage the actuator from the inner frame, as in lower diagram:

CCI28032009_00000.jpg

As you just had some work done on your car, it's possible a pipe was removed, and not replaced.

What work did you have done? What area of the car was the work carried out in?

If your pump is bust, I have a spare one.
But first, you need to determine where your leak is (as I suspect there is one) and rectify it first.

thanks and the work was trans computer replacement.
and other than between the doors where else should i look for a leak

Besides between the doors, I'd look at the pump vacuum connections, and the connections on the trunk and fuel flap actuators.