New Key now working

d4mo

Reaction score
Being a tight so and so I decided that I wasnt going to pay the £170 +VAT that my local audi dealer quoted me for a remote fob flip key all coded to the car, and that was after arguing that my car would need a receiver unit fitted!

Instead, with help from Siena I bought a second hand fob from ebay (its a 3 button but I dont have boot release) which took me 30 mins to match to the car for the remote central locking using instructions found elsewhere on this forum.

Next stop was a local key cutting centre who actually cut the blank for free.

Finally, I got hold of a VAG COM Cable and VAG Tacho cable and have managed to get the pin code from my VDO dash and then use that to code the new keyto the car using the VAG COM.

All in this has cost me £90 but I have 2 very useful cables which i will be using over and over again and I plan to get another flip key to keep as a spare seeing as i only got a non-remote fixed key with the car.

Just thought I'd let you know that it is possible t not have to use the dealers, and the best thing is that all of this information was found through this forum!! So thanks to everyone really.

Good work there, d4mo.

Glad some of the info you got from here was useful.

Actually, just been having a think, is it possible to retrofit the remote boot release into a 99 avant so that I could use the extra button on the fob i have?

Not sure, I'm in the same position too.

I'll let you know if it works on mine.

Being a tight so and so I decided that I wasnt going to pay the £170 +VAT that my local audi dealer quoted me for a remote fob flip key all coded to the car, and that was after arguing that my car would need a receiver unit fitted!

Instead, with help from Siena I bought a second hand fob from ebay (its a 3 button but I dont have boot release) which took me 30 mins to match to the car for the remote central locking using instructions found elsewhere on this forum.

Next stop was a local key cutting centre who actually cut the blank for free.

Finally, I got hold of a VAG COM Cable and VAG Tacho cable and have managed to get the pin code from my VDO dash and then use that to code the new keyto the car using the VAG COM.

All in this has cost me £90 but I have 2 very useful cables which i will be using over and over again and I plan to get another flip key to keep as a spare seeing as i only got a non-remote fixed key with the car.

Just thought I'd let you know that it is possible t not have to use the dealers, and the best thing is that all of this information was found through this forum!! So thanks to everyone really.

Just ordered a lead myself for the Tacho part has I also need to reprogram two keys for my new A4 which I only got one key but will reprogram my old keys to match.

I got 2 blades and cut for £14 of ebay from this guy www.3dgroupuk.com and all I had to do was send a digital picture of my key for him to cut it.

thanks for the info.:icon_thumright:

I've used that 3D guy too, to get the blades cut for my rclick keyfobs.

Only cost me a tenner, but i sent him the blades from my kit, as they're different to the rclick ones. Got them back to me pretty sharpish, and they fit just fine :)

docurley - I got my Tacho table from ebay because i didnt want to pay too much, ended up getting one from China that didnt work and had to wait for them to receive it before they would send a new one or give a refund. 3 weeks later i eventually got an email saying they were out of stock and it took another week to give me the refund. Ended up getting one for twice the price from a uk seller on ebay, turned up next day and worked fine...guess i was just unlucky with the first one.

Actually, just been having a think, is it possible to retrofit the remote boot release into a 99 avant so that I could use the extra button on the fob i have?

thought about this myself, I assume the solenoid is missing or was a factory fitted option.
would imagine the loom would be present and the body controller would be coded ready for these options from new.

anyone out there done a retro fit boot release?

can someone help.
I had to replace my fob cause a little piece off the circuit board came off and would not soldier back on. so I ordered a new fob off ebay. now i need to match it to the car. how do i do this and what to i need?
thanks
Izzy

p.s this is the only key i have