Airbaglight - yellow contact?

stian89

Reaction score
Hey!

I've had the airbag light since I bought my A4, 1.6L, 1995 model for over 1 year ago.

I recently ran Vagcom on it, with the following fault code:

Code:
Address 15: Airbags
   Controller: 8A0 959 655 C
   Component: Airbag V AUDI      D00 
   Coding: 01022
   Shop #: WSC 33977
1 Fault Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95)
            32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
I've been told that there should be a yellow contact underneath the driver's seat that most likely is the problem.
Like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/3132287793_d327a42d40.jpg?v=0/3229/3132287793_d327a42d40.jpg?v=0

But I can't seem to find this contact.. Do I have to remove the seat? Am I blind? Or is it simply not there? (Don't have side airbags)

This link might give you some idea - the contact underneath the seat seems to be the culprit in this case too.

Fair point.

I know there was a recall on the A4 for the earth on the wheel airbag as mine had to go in for it ('95 1.8). Strangely enough that has a yellow connector too...

Ye that doesnt say side airbag, so i presume its the one in the wheel.

Your '95 doesnt have side airbags either i dont think, our '96 certainly doesnt have them.

Its most likely going to be either the earth mentioned above (my dads old '95 1.8T had the same fault iirc) or the contact ring that sits between the steering wheel and the column.

So it is only the cars with side airbags that has this contact underneath the seat? :)

Hey!

I've had the airbag light since I bought my A4, 1.6L, 1995 model for over 1 year ago.

I recently ran Vagcom on it, with the following fault code:

Code:
Address 15: Airbags
   Controller: 8A0 959 655 C
   Component: Airbag V AUDI      D00 
   Coding: 01022
   Shop #: WSC 33977
1 Fault Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95)
            32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
I've been told that there should be a yellow contact underneath the driver's seat that most likely is the problem.
Like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/3132287793_d327a42d40.jpg?v=0/3229/3132287793_d327a42d40.jpg?v=0

But I can't seem to find this contact.. Do I have to remove the seat? Am I blind? Or is it simply not there? (Don't have side airbags)

Cars with side airbags usually have airbag written on a label on the side they were fixed to, my current has, my 8L S3 had & I'm sure my S4 B6 had it aswell, I'd hazard a guess if you dont have the airbag label its most likely they dont have airbags, got any image of under the seat.

So it is only the cars with side airbags that has this contact underneath the seat? :)

Correct, the side airbags are in the side of the seats, hence the connector under the seat.

In your case, it will most likely either be the earth mentioned above, or the contact ring in the wheel itself.

have you tried resetting the vagcom then turn the steering from one lock to the other and if the light comes on then its the clock spring in the wheel itself

have you tried resetting the vagcom then turn the steering from one lock to the other and if the light comes on then its the clock spring in the wheel itself
I'll try this tomorrow, thanks. :)

Not fun to run Vagcom, I have 8 engine errors.. :p

8 engine errors, think you need to clear them sooner than the airbags mate cause the airbags will be irrelevant if the engine goes & I maybe wrong but think the others mean the Slip Ring behind the steering wheel, these dont go wrong very often tbh, unless you've disconnected the lower steering linkage in footwell & turned the wheel 1 turn either way so the slip ring is not centred which then pulls the slip ring connections out on full lock potentially, have you had any of this of or messed with lower linkages etc?

NHN: Its more likely to be the slipring than the airbag itself though...

Stian: What are the engine fault codes? Its probably worth making a note of them, then clearing them and seeing what comes back...

Anythings possible I guess, the lube could of dried up over time inside the slip ring & not allowed such smooth movements of the ribbon, thus pulled on the tracks inside the ribbon or the ribbon connections, but they hardly go wrong, but as I said anythings possible & hope its this as its a cheap fix huh

The airbag light has been there since I bought the car in November 2007, so I don't know what has happened..

Engine error codes:

18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
* This is because my battery dies when I don't use the car for over a week.. Been searching for the fault, and I hope it's fixed now.

16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal
P0116 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
* Need to locate the sensor and figure out where to order it.

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
* Haven't had the problem with the car "dying" after starting it in a long while. But when I reset this fault, the problem has returned. Solution: Solder some wires in the "starter" where you put the keys (not good with english expressions..:p)

17736 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 4: Regulation Limit Exceeded
P1328 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
* No idea what this is.

01249 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30)
26-10 - Output Open - Intermittent
* No idea what this is.

16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal
P0321 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
* When the car "stands still", the motor RPM sometimes goes crazy.. Need to locate and replace this sensor.

00561 - Mixture Adaptation
14-00 - Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded
* No idea what this is.

16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0130 - 35-10 - - -
* No idea what this is.

Thanks for the quick replies! :)

I'd certainly fix those errors before doing airbags, lol

16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal
P0116 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
This is located at the back of the cylinder head, in the black metal pipe, new sensor is about 20 quid and is easy to change, however the intermittant nature MAY point to the wiring being at fault.

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
I doubt you clearing the fault codes will have braught this back. Probably a faulty reader coil.

17736 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 4: Regulation Limit Exceeded
P1328 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
This means your engine is suffering from pre-ignition on that one cylinder. This is bad, but it might just be due to the fuelling being off, due to some of the other faults

01249 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30)
26-10 - Output Open - Intermittent
This is the fuel injector on cylinder 1.

16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal
P0321 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
This is the crank sensor, its mounted at the rear of the motor, ontop of the gearbox bellhousing, and reads from flywheel teeth.

00561 - Mixture Adaptation
14-00 - Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded
This says your fuelling is waay off the scale. You need to fix the temperature sensor and lambda and see if this comes back.

16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0130 - 35-10 - - -
This is the sensor in your exhaust, just before the CAT, which detects and controlls the fuelling. This needs replaced.

With all the fuelling errors you have i'd be surprised if its returning 20mpg!
You need to get all of these things sorted asap, as they can damage the engine if not corrected. Replace the Coolant temperature Sensor and lambda and clear the codes and see what returns.

boy you have your work cut out there, good luck

i also have had an airbag light come on the dash as of late. I had also played with the steering column and seat heights when cleaning the car recently so might have disturbed the connections somehow.

not wanting to spend a fortune with someone who owns a VAG computer, if i disconnect the battery for a while and try and fix the fault, will it clear the airbag light when i reconnect it assuming i have rectified the problem?

No.

The fault needs cleared with vagcom.

Where are you located, someone on the forum might be nearby and be able to use their vagcom on it for free/much cheapness.