LRC100 Laser Diffuser & Road Angel

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Fitted both these essentials 2 days ago, and had a good 7 hour drive from Southampton to Warrington & back yesterday to give them a try out.
The fitting was very straight forward. Road Angel is a straight plug & play unit. Just fixes to the windscreen with suckers and plugs into the cig lighter. I hard wired mine in connecting it to the ignition on power under the dash.
The LRC100 is a bit more involved as you have to fit the very small & well made transponder to the front of the car near the number plate and it has to be level in both directions. This is relatively easy on an A4 as by taking out the grill below the number plate you can fit it directly underneath. You do have to cut one of the plastic brackets if you want it centered, which is what I did so that it looks like part of the bumper.
You also have to chop out a small part of the lower grill in order for it to fit back in. Again this part is cheap to replace when selling the vehicle.
The diffuser comes with a very long high quality lead which needs routing into the cabin via the ECU. This took 10minutes once I'd remembered how I did it when I fitted my 60amp power cable all those years ago.
You then install a small switch & separate speaker under the dash, and wire it up to 12v & earth. You can also install an LED but I didn't bother as in order for it to grab your attention it would have to be high on the dash. The new road angel has laser protection anyway so it will alert me if I have been targetted while the diffuser gives me 5 seconds of stealth before automatically shutting down.
Can't really test this out, but it beeps on start up to tell you it's happy.
The New Road Angel is superb. No more false alarms, it doesn't even go off when passing cameras on the other carriageway. It gives you just the right amount of notice (although you can adjust this), and stops immediately you have past the danger.
It handled the SPECS camera's on the M6/M42 perfectly. Because these camera's monitor your speed between 2 points the RA warns you when you enter the zone and then beeps every 10 seconds as a continuous warning, while telling you what your average speed is. When passing the final camera it shuts off again. Brilliant!
It picked up the temporary camera's in the roadworks as well, but only the ones on my carriageway.
Very impressed all round.
(Please forgive the state of my car)

I shopped around a bit. Bel Direct did the 2 together for £655 including VAT and P&P, but they also do the old Classic Road Angel & the LRC100 for £580 all in. They managed to sell me up to the New Road Angel, but it only comes with a 6 month subscription, which p*ssed me off a bit, and there is no longer a lifetime subscription offer, but I guess this is the case for the old one now.

Andymac, you've got me feeling kinda nervous just now. I've just done the full length of the M74 & M6 (including the toll section) from Glasgow to Coventry, & spent a fair chunk of it doing over 80. What's this SPECS camera all about? I've not heard about them. Are they visible to the naked eye like the GATSOs? Should I be fearing the postman's arrival in the coming fortnight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks, Andy. Feel a bit better now. All I need worry about now is that mobile camera van that was sitting on a bridge over the M74 in Dumfriess. I've Heard they have very long ranges. I was doing 75 when I passed under, but that was after a hard brake down from the 85 I was doing before I spotted it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Speedy you were very unlucky, are you sure it was a radar gun not laser? I thought they'd stopped using radar hairdryers. If the road angel had radar detection it would then be going off all the time like the traditional radar detectors.

After the scare in Scotland last week, I'm thinking of getting an RA myself. There's a site on Ebay offering the "Classic" RA with bidding from £180, & a buy-it-now option of £235. I'll have to wait & see what happens tomorrow when the car goes in to have the airbag circuit checked. I'm hoping it's just a re-set job, but if it turns out to be an expensive repair/replacement, then the RA will have to be postponed. Fingers crossed!

Just make sure it comes with the sunscription, and also it's not one of those stupid ads where they add the VAT after the auction ends.
Cheers, Andy