Rear tyre wear issue on non-quattro car!

AndymacA4

Reaction score
Originally posted in 8E ssection, but with no response, thought I'd try here.

I have just cleaned the car, and the back tyres are showing some weird wear.

The outside half of the tyres on both sides is worn to a few mm off of the wear markers. The inside of both rear tyres is showing pretty much no wear at all. The tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s. They went on as a full set of 4 last September. They have done about 6K. There is no feathering or tearing to speak of on the tread blocks. The fronts are wearing evenly and showing minimal wear.

Any ideas on cause? The alignment was setup by Audi in September after the replaced the front track control arms due to seizure. The springs and shocks are original ride height ones and are in good condition.

What can be adjusted on the back suspension of A4s?

ta

Andy

As far as i'm aware the rear end has quite a few adjustments on the rear of a B6, or B5 quattro. Toe and camber is adjustable afaik.

If the outer half of the tyre has worn, it sounds as though you have too much positive camber on the rear.
Unfortunately with tyres like the Eagle, they are so soft that if the geometry is out by much, as the weight of the vehicle is on a much smaller area of the tyre and it accellerates the wear greatly.

I wouldnt trust audi to change by wiper blades, never mind accurately set up the geometry on the rear of my car. I'd get the car into somewhere that can do 4 wheel computer controlled alignment, and get it setup correctly, along with a new set of tyres.

Just for info.....

My dad had a new Renaut Megane that was scrubbing the inside of one of his rear tyres. He had the geometry checked and it was fine. A year later the wheel bearing failed, once replaced the tyres didn't scrub anymore. There is no adjustment on a Megan Rear.

Not saying that this is the cause of your problem, but you never know?

Jim.