AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

B5 S4 engine lift - What parts to replace?

Hi guys, my newly aqquired S4 is soon to be undergoing an engine lift for a manifold change. Whilst this is out I'm going to replace the gaskets etc as I've noticed 2 gaskets leaking a little. I have some questions!

The car:
    2000 S4
    93k Miles
    Service carried out around 1k miles ago

1) The turbos on the car are from factory. Is it worth changing/reconditioning these whilst the engines off? I know the obvious answer is to whack the K04 upgrade in, but I can't really afford it atm.. however the last thing I want to do is bring the engine back up again after 5k miles due to turbo failure!

2) What other little bits are worth doign whilst the engines out, clutch etc?

Cheers!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Clutch, and possibly flywheel.
    Turbo's recon'd.
    Turbo oil return pipes (check).

4th Gear

Status
    all mounts renewed/upgraded downpipes/piggies im sure there is more on the other hand another emgine pull would be expesive for k04s like you say
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter

6th Gear

Status
    Why are you changing the manifolds?
    Mo power, mo problems

Neutral

Status
    I've got this 'rattling' sound that is really hard to describe, but the guys at MRC think it's the common exhaust manifold problem that older B5's had a lot. He did say that hardly any 2000 > B5's experienced this problem so it's a bit wierd.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Very rare on a Y2000. Check the cams whilst the engine is out and the cam seals and cam chain tensioner cover gaskets. May as well check all the bearings on ancilliaries as well.

Neutral

Status
    Well the tensioner gasket is leaking for sure, but I didnt think it would cause this sound. Cam lobes have been checked (well, what you can see through the filler cap anyway) and car has been vag-com'd and the engine seems to be firing fine.

Reverse Gear

Status
    No won't be the tensioner gasket - might be heatshields but again rare for y2000. Just worth checking/attending to those things I mentioned whilst engine is out. The rockers covers need to come off to check the cams properly. Change clutch whilst out and if going for K04 power in the future go for RS4 clutch.

Neutral

Status
    Spot on, thanks for your help once again guys!