Chris NottBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

1.8T drop in MPG and misfire

Whilst I know this will be a case of running a diagnostics (which I don't have easy access to) I'm just wondering if anyone has any 'starters for 10'?

My average MPG on my 1.8T (AEB) has dropped from 35 to 26, idle is rough and misfires when under power (especially in 3rd gear for some reason). Also, low down torque seems to have gone and top end punch dissappeared. Basically running rubbish!

MAF was replaced with an OEM replacement 16 months ago so don't think it's that. Thinking it could be an ignition coil? Also, worth noting that passed MOT whilst running like this so presumably emissions (and therefore Lamda sensor?) okay??

HELP??
    A4Chris
    ------------------------------------------------
    B5 Audi A4 1.8T Sport (standard)

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Could be the ignition amplifier module, its on the top of the airbox, has two plugs going on to it
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Either gnition module, in which case its usualy cyl 2 that goes first.

I recently had much the same, my car would idle fine, and miss on high boost, turned out to be a coilpack for me. I am sad and actually carry spare coils and an ICM in the boot

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys - I'll look into this further at the weekend. Might go down the route of replacing all 4 coil packs to rule coil packs out if nothing else - or hopefully fix the problem (looks like the coil packs are the original ones so at 145,000 miles old can't do any harm to replace them!)

Thanks for the quick responses.

Cheers

Chris
    A4Chris
    ------------------------------------------------
    B5 Audi A4 1.8T Sport (standard)

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I would certainly do all four if you can, but i would play swappsies and find the culprit so you can keep the 3 "good" ones for spares, you never know....

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    might want to check your spark plugs before changing any of the expensive parts...

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Neutral

Status
    whats the best way to test if a coil pack is faulty, would this show in VAGCOM

5th Gear

Status
    anyone know how much a ignition amplifier module is ?

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sounds very similar to the problem i had, the garages i went to see did a few things that never worked like the MAF. In the end i got myself 1 coil pack and swapped it around all 4 of the old 1s, it turned out to be the last one i tried!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by richie_jones View Post
    whats the best way to test if a coil pack is faulty, would this show in VAGCOM
    As far as I know, swapping each in turn with a known good one is the only way. The fault doesnt register in the ecu even with a major misfire. There is a way of testing the ignition module with a simple test rig you can make yourself. It shows you how here :- http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=1535031