Rust Catchers

dieselfitter251

Blow ma own trumpet?
Reaction score
Hey guys,
The lower door trims.... anybody taken them completely off? Now that I've got a decent sized garage to work in I'm going to be attacking the teabagish nature of Stinky and this area of the doors is really bad. (all four) The thing is, these door strips are notorious for catching water and hence causing rust. Not to amused about doing all the work and then having the rust come back (prematurely - I know it never really goes away!!). I'm think of taking them off completely, any thoughts?

i think there are studs or holes in the doors which they attach to, so its not just a case of popping them off. You'd need grinding/welding/painting, or leave the studs/holes showing...

You need a small(ish) stardriver (I think it's called that) open the door really wide, and unsrew them. If it's just turning in the trim, pull it gently away from the door, and you'll end up with a little brass stud. I used some needle nosed pliers, with some cloth over the end to stop scratching the car, and this worked fine. I've done all four, and seeing as the originals lasted almost nine years and 120,000 miles, they're not too bad :yes:

^^^ So are you now running with out the lower door trim or was is just to get in and clean / re spray?