Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status

what air filter?

just got a chip in my quattro sport and want to get a pannel filter to help things along. are they worth while or is a standard air filter fine? you can hear the turbo sucking a lot harder now anyway so a more free flowing filter is bound to help a bit.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I have gone down the cone filter with a heat shield over the turbo, works really well

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

5th Gear

Status
    just do not excessively oil it

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi mate,

Just wondering how much difference the chip makes?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Personally, i'd steer clear.

The paper panel filter can flow the 380HP the RS4 requires, so its going to be perfectly happy flowing the 200hp your engine is currently producing.

Aftermarket filters do not filter as well, and most of them rely on being impregnated with oil, oil which will contaminate your AFM, leaving you a nice bill.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    The air box you currently have with a fresh paperfilter can flow more than enoug air to feed a 300bhp or more engine. The main thing you will get with a panel or cone is more noise

3rd Gear

Status
    I love it when the best route is the cheapest.

Reminds me of a mate when he took me out on his boat. We were going well enough, I thought, but he reckoned it didn't feel as quick as it should be. He looked at the tacho, thought maybe the prop was damaged or not the right pitch.

Then it dawned on him. 3 up, we were carrying more weight than usual and it was affecting the trim.

He looked at Chloe, said "You, OUT". His girlfriend went overboard and pretty soon we were doing 40 knots.

Irrelevant but I enjoyed playing it through my mind again. Carry on!

'98 Santorin Blue 1.8t Sport

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status
    its much better mid range with the chip. should be about 210-215bhp instead of 180 now.

6th Gear

Status
    Paper filter gets my vote.

Oil + MAF's don't mix.

You could well not oil, or use very little oil, but then, the larger pores would allow damaging dust to be ingested by your engine.

1st Gear

Status
    This thread is scaring me . I've just recently stuck a K&N panel in my TQS. They can't be all that bad for the engine. How come they are so popular if they are gonna make my car go kaput. Bit of an over-exaguration. How about the old tights over the box trick

6th Gear

Status
    ^^^ Why are Turbo Zet's or fake dump valves popular?

If you feel larger pores in a filter, that rely on oil to trap dust are the best way forward, then by all means, go for it. When folk pay good money on a K&N or similar, it's natural they'll prefer to believe anything negative said about them is an exaggeration.

I can only advice based on experience, I've found significantly more bore wear when rebuilding engines that have spent a lifetime being run on anything but OEM small-pored paper filters.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    AB5: The problem is the oil in the filter.

Most aftermarket filters flow better than paper ones, because the filter element isnt as good. Clearly the size of the smallest particle that can get thru the filter is proportional to the amount of effort you need to draw a set amount of air thru the filter.

Aftermarket filters tend to use an element with much bigger gaps in it, to provide the "freeflow" but becuase this obviously has a detrimental effect to the actual filtration they try to get round this by impregnating the element with oil. The idea being that the small bits of crap will stick to the oil as they pass thru the large holes.

The problem stems from this oil being drawn thru the filter into the airstream and contaminating the air flow meter. You may never have an issue, or it may die inside a few weeks, it really depends how oily the filter is and what state the AFM is to begin with.

Lots of "performance" modifications out there are popular, but when you actually analyse them, they offer little or no benefits, and quite often can be detrimental to the car. Its just all marketing hype, and people that THINK they know what they're talking about informing others how amazing mod-x is.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Hmmm. Might need to rethink that little mod then. Cheers for the views

6th Gear

Status
    Paper filter on mine always as said above even when speaking to RS4 tuners they say even with work and mapping they still use the standard air box on powerfull RS models you just can't beat it.
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks