oil temperature at the top and car wont start!

Al

Diesel power!
Reaction score
:sos:I went out to my car this morning and when i tried to start the oil temperature went straight into the red, (level is fine, sensors seem conected) the immobiliser light flashes and the odometer says fuse with 169974 underneath which is'nt the mileage! it will start but just cuts out again straight away. HELP!!!! anyone had this before? any help at all is appreciated!:wtf:

tried all the keys i got with it, it wants to go, but something electrical is holding her back. the oil temperature gauge might just be a clue. dodgy sensor perhaps, would that stop it for safety reasons maybe?

I'd say you have an immobiliser issue.

Since you've tried all the keys you have, I'd look at the coil reader (aerial) connection. The small plug on the coaxial has a habit of working loose.

If that's secure, then the next step will be to replace it.

Do you have access to VAG-COM or similar? Seems a good time to pull fault codes.

Oil temp gauge is random, and unrelated.

dont have vag com yet, i only bought the car a few days ago i haven't even driven it properly yet. time to invest in it i think dont fancy £100 an hour!:scared2:

yeah we checked out all the fuses we thought to be relevant, dash, engine management, imobiliser etc. they all seemed to be fine. it will start but cut out again literally a couple of seconds later!

The start and die, and immo light flashing, tells you the immo is cutting in.

However the oil guage and FUSE warning at the same time (i presume the oil guage was normal last time you drove it?) kinda points to me to it being something else.

Perhaps theres an earth thats broken that happens to earth the cluster or immo box? You dont say what year it is, but if its immo2 (after ~1997) the immobiliser is inside the cluster, so some kind of electrical fault with the cluster could cause all the symptoms together.

oil gauge was fine we drove it about 150 miles home and it ran sweet as a nut. it is a 2000 face lift model. will have a look at the imobiliser later on today. thanks for all your help guys much appreciated.
From problems with dodgy cheap french cars to problems with dodgy expensive german ones!!!

the immo is integrated into the clocks on a 2000 model, and with the other two symptoms i really dont think its an issue with the immobiliser directly, more like some supply or earthing issue with the cluster as a whole.

Might be worth unplugging it and checking all the connections to earth to ensure they are all good (use a multimeter set to resistance and test between the brown wires and the chassis)