GOT TO REMAP

S4twiggy

Fully Certified Detailer!!
Reaction score
had a golf 2.0 tdi pull away from my s4 today, it was a normal tdi(not red tdi) with the superchips logo on the back so obviously its been chipped but damn these torquey diesels. im gettin used to the power of my S4 now and seein a golf gti stayed with me till 120 i think ill be gettin it tuned soon. not sure if my S4 is running full power though so any suggestions on checking if it is or not would be gratefull

get it pluggen into vagcom mate, read the ecu for any fault codes. Plenty on here about doing it. Where abouts are you based someone may have it local

Thats never right, your car can't be running right, my 1.8t can keep up with a BMW 330d and those are torque monsters.

Deffo get it Vag'd you must be in soft limp mode or similar

where the best place to get a vagcom kit then? i keep thinkin my car aint runnin right. im in south wales near cardiff.

To get you started a ebay lead will allow you to pull the codes and is only £10-15quid

As has been said, even a tuned PD golf with upgraded turbo, 150 injectors etc will only be making 200ish HP, which while fast, would still be unable to pull away from an S4.

So unless you were trying to keep up with him while in 6th gear without downshifting, then i suspect there is something wrong with your car.

i was comin off a roundabout in second an i stuck with it but do you think i could pass him, hell no, i was goin through the gears and goin on 7000rpm so weren as if i werent tryin. i always thought it wasnt running rite, only had it a month an its my 1st S4 so got nothing to compare to:confused:

yer thats defo not right, your motor should be making near peak power from about 4000rpm thru to around 6500, a derv makes its power over a tiny power band, so even if it was highly tuned to a comparable level of performance you should still have been able to reel him in.

i need to sort this out soon. i think i know someone come to think about it so ill see if i can get hold of him. if my n75 valve is playin up would vagcom pick it up?

It should pick it up yeah. A boost gauge is an idea to keep an eye on what you're running too. Other common causes for loss of power from experience are lambdas, egt sensors, maf sensor and boost leaks.

Twiggy....You could always get the FleaBay cable and use my laptop to connect to your car, reading the codes and therefore getting to the root of the issue! If there are any.

Failing that, i know someone with proper VAGCOM, small charge of say £15 and i think he'd do it for you.

Hope you get this sorted.

G

Thats never right, your car can't be running right, my 1.8t can keep up with a BMW 330d and those are torque monsters.

Deffo get it Vag'd you must be in soft limp mode or similar

Yours must be running well Mark. I was very surprised at how a 335d kept up with me for a while in mine, and i'm running peak torque of 440lb-ft!!
:salute:

And Twiggy, I wouldn't worry too much about the golf, they can also have plenty of torque. A bloke who runs a rolling road in North Wales had a tuned Golf TDi and he used to offer people their money back if their car beat his torque figures.

Lucky for him it's only a 2WD rolling road! :kissmyrings:

330d and 335d are very different animals.

330 is about 200hp, 335 is the twin turbo thing that makes nearly 300hp and several million torques.

had a golf 2.0 tdi pull away from my s4 today, it was a normal tdi(not red tdi) with the superchips logo on the back so obviously its been chipped but damn these torquey diesels. im gettin used to the power of my S4 now and seein a golf gti stayed with me till 120 i think ill be gettin it tuned soon. not sure if my S4 is running full power though so any suggestions on checking if it is or not would be gratefull

There is 100% something wrong with your S4 I have raced with a Audi A3 2.0 TDI its no where near S4 even if its remaped :undwech:a Golf GTi even 180 BHP can't keep up with a S4 :0)

What sort of VAGCOM cable do I need? The only ones on eBay I can see are OBD2 and the car isn't listed for them. And the connector is different.

I want to check mine out after it failed to keep up with a Ferrari yesterday. :p

I have a deisel Mk5 GT 170. its quick but no way it would keep up with an S4 unless it was a little sick.

that said we all have our off days where we miss a gear or something ;)

As has been said, even a tuned PD golf with upgraded turbo, 150 injectors etc will only be making 200ish HP, which while fast, would still be unable to pull away from an S4.

it was a 2.0TDI, which is available in 170hp tune out of the box in the GT TDI, AMD claim to remap them to 215-220hp, and 320-335lbft! before you start on bigger turbos, injectors, and intercoolers!
i dont know how an S4 compares, are parkers lists them as having 2800nm (2,600lbft!) which is obviously wrong! and its not 280nm, as thats the same as the nornal 2.8 30v.

330d and 335d are very different animals.
several million torques.

arg, dont turn all clarkson on us. i hate it when he says 'its got 240torques...' its a nonsense, it means nothing, its like saying its 300distances from here to there!

yes i know this, hence the tounge in cheek "several million"

the 330 is about 400nm and the 335 was limited to 550nm to save the transmission iirc.

I didnt catch it being a 2.0 tdi. As you say, they're 140 or 170 stock. although if it was a 170 you'd expect to see the red i or similar? Anyway, a drag thru the gears like he described comes down to power. the S4 produces 265hp and weighs approx 1500kgs, giving 176bhp/ton.

From letstorquebhp.com we find that a mk5 GT TDI golf with the 2.0 motor weighs 1451kgs and produces 140 or 170hp. Even if we assume its chipped to 200hp, its only making 137hp/ton and really shouldnt come close to an S4 down a drag strip.

LTBHP recons on a 17 sec 1/4 for a MK5 GT TDI 2.0 170 and a 13.9sec quarter for the S4.