new zorst

stub

the matrix is comin
Reaction score
hope you can hel. has anyone tried running there car without back box on an a straight pipe fitted if so how load is it compared to a normal sports back box.

That will be one annoyingly loud ride.

Why do you want to delete the back box anyway?

tbh i dont think it would be as bad as you'd initially think...

The turbo acts as a pretty efficient silencer, and the cat does a good job too, so assuming you've got the turbo, cat and middle box all still fitted, i dont think it would be that loud.

It might not sound very good though.

Believe me, it'll be loud.

I recall my type 85 RS2-engined Coupe Quattro (B2) with single silencer Scorpion.

It was loud as hell on a run, drove me half senseless, I ended up buying a new centre section with an extra silencer like the OEM Audi system.

Bearing in mind it was an I5, which is a lot more forgiving than an I4, the 1,8T will be LOUD.

was there a cat fitted there though?

Also small 1.8T blower will silence a lot more than the huge thing fitted to and RS2.

Before dismantling it, i ran my Land Rover TDi motor with nothing but the turbo and downpipe, and it wasnt really that loud at all. My dads old ford transit DI with a split downpipe was ear splittingly loud in comparison.

If the OP wanted to test, he could always just undo the jubilee clamp that holds the backbox to the mid box and seperate the two, then fire it up and have a listen?

I have no mid box and very little back box (more of an extension to the tailpipe really). It is fairly loud but not over the top IMO.

I like it anyway!!

Diesels tend to run quieter - turbo or n/a, the exhaust gas temps are a lot lower.

When I first built my type 85, it was running the stock KKK24 from the S2, and initially ran a single CAT.

Was loud.

TO LOUD MATE

As soon as i get some time thats what your doing to mine lol , all the boys in the states say my system sounds best with rear box delete instead of centre , they say it drones without the middle box but doesnt without the back .

As soon as i get some time thats what your doing to mine lol , all the boys in the states say my system sounds best with rear box delete instead of centre , they say it drones without the middle box but doesnt without the back . thats roughly what i heard but i don't want it to load just the sound of music from a great engine lol

spoke to powerflow this morning, they had a great idea to keep the car looking standed by just changing the back box itself an keeping the tailpipe as they are. that way i get what i want but with the sound to match the car. sounds sweet don't you think