Quick video with new downpipes fitted

stapo69

All hail the mighty quattro!
Reaction score
As it says just a quick one with the new Labree splitmouth donwpipes fitted, eventually, combined with the Vibrant cat-back system. Car works real well now with them all fitted up, spool up is sooooo much quicker, power comes in a lot earlier, really feels like she's starting to build pace quickly now, pulls like a train from real low down. Hoping to get some rolling video done soon, as standing still really doesn't give that much of an idea how good she sounds! Or how quick she goes! Anyways here you go, see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOnwebMo84g&layer_token=1f8e1afae2a3e934

Should here it at full chat through tunnels! Makes me a little wet every time! Idling noise is only half the story, doesn't do it full justice.

the dp's have added a bit more throatiness and you can definitely here a more pronounced whooshing from the turbos compared to just the vibrant cat back

sounds good.

will be interested in the power figures for those dp's I can't understand how they claim to be less restrictive than a single pipe when it uses two channels ???

Split Downpipes are also known as “divorced wastegate downpipes” in other areas of tuning. The reason this type of downpipe works better is because the exhaust coming off the turbo wheel (turbine) is spinning extremely fast and whipping in a circle. By keeping the exhaust in a pipe similar to the size of the exhaust wheel and separating the wastegate you dramatically speed up the velocity of the exhaust gases causing the turbos to spool about 500 rpm sooner than in open-mouth downpipe design.
If the exhaust comes off the turbo wheel and enters a much larger, colder area, it becomes more turbulent, slowing the exhaust velocity. In addition, when the wastegate opens, the two turbulent exhaust gases fight each other causing more turbulence and slower exhaust gas exit speeds. This is the case in open-mouth downpipe designs which currently exist in the market.
Please keep in mind that even though the downpipe is split & separates the flow into 2 separate pipes, the overall diameter of the opening at the turbo is 3 inches. The downpipe then merges the flow into a 2.5 inch “collector section” downstream and continues at 2.5 inches into the catalytic converter or test pipe.​

That sounds great! Never seen these split DP's before the design and function of them sounds interesting.

What's she like at 4,000 rpm >?

Does she get quieter at high rpm?
Some loud systems quieten down at motorway speeds, the "booming" would drive you nuts otherwise.

She's actually pretty good at motoway speeds, not much noise at all when cruising, only really when you give it some beans. Has hi-flow cats, a small centre resonator box and a fairly decent size rear box. It's also not massively loud inside either cos of the good sound deadening, this set up actually makes me drive a lot slower cos of the lurvely V6 burble at low revs!

Sounds great, A lot nicer than my derv.....
erm.. Who's Xoe and does she know you've got her car?

Shh! She'll never find out.......

Should here it at full chat through tunnels! Makes me a little wet every time! Idling noise is only half the story, doesn't do it full justice.
Ahem, videos of the said tunnel runs please geez!

I wish id recorded my S4 going through the Newport tunnels, that was heaven loL! :busted_cop:

Videos will be coming as soon as I get chance!

Awesome!!!

What sort of costs are we talking for DP's and catback separately? :)

wish mine sounded like this , i just had my ebay system put on today and its so quiet now think i will have to take the middle box out.

What does your system have in it?

The downpipes new are around $1600 with cats, I paid just over £400 delivered for a used set from the states! The cat-back was around £300 plus delivery from the states. So all in all didn't pay too much at all really for a great system.

The system has the DP's with hi flow cats, a small centre resonator box, 3" through the centre with about an inch of box around it, and then a fairly decent size rear box, enough to stop any resonation, but godd free flow to alloew a decent size under decent throttle.

DP's:
B5_split_down_pipes.jpg

Cat-back:
detailed_image_2714.jpg

Yup out comes the middle box then , i will experiment with a small similar resonator while on the ramps, my missus said its boring and she cant hear me coming off the motorway anymore lol

Your missus needs to know when you're on your way home by the sound of your car?.........I'd keep it stealthy for a few days if ya know what i mean.......

On another note, lots of boys on Audizine chop their ebay exhausts about with different results, chopping out centre or rear boxes etc. Have a search over on there for; SSAC / ssautochrome / ebay exhaust / xs-power, anything along those variations and you'll have pages of people doin stuff with that exhaust.

ill have a look now , the other thing i notice with having a centre box is i already touched on a speed bump where as i never had a problem before with touching exaust.

My new downpipes hang lower now, the cats scrape a bit sometimes, but hoping to de-cat it soon which'l tuck up under the car a bit more.

just looked on audizine .........Plenty of ******** on there about them but couldnt really get to the bottom of it . Seems people are removing the back muffler instead of the middle which i was going to do so still think its gonna be a bit of trial and error again.

Yeah, seems they try and copy the AWE Twin 1, dunno what differences you'd get depending on which box you delete, more volume, but no drone is what you want I guess. There are odd vids on youtube of different style set ups, may give some idea of what would sound like what.