Burning Rubber smell ?

H2o-uk

Reaction score
Just been out in the car and I decided to take the longer motorway drive home, and at around motorway speeds :), I noticed a faint smell of burning rubber, so I slowed down and pulled into the slow lane and it went. I then accelerated again and the smell came back, but then drifted away as I settled into a nice steady speed but the smell was still there. So I continued my drive home and we have a couple of nice B roads near where I live so I had a spirited drive on them to finish my trip home and the smell appeared again.

Needless to say, I got home popped the bonnet and had a good sniff around but could find anything in the engine bay that was obvious, and I had a feel around the tyres too, but I couldnt feel any signs of rubbing.

Any ideas what it could possibly be, I'm thinking I might have to take it to the garage to get it up on the lift and have a poke around, saying that its not long passed its MOT.

??

Thanks

mine smelt like that last week,
i had to change my brake fluid, it was rotten and black, it was dirtier than my oil..
i ain't give any welly yet cause I'm bedding in my new pads and disc's,
so i don't know if its done any good

Sounds like the onset of dual-mass flywheel failure.

The 2 sections are linked by heavy-duty rubber blocks.
If the clutch slips enough to overheat these rubber blocks, they degrade, and harden over time, and when being driven hard, you'll smell them burning.

thanks for the responses, however its an Automatic gearbox, it could well need a brake fluid change as I know that hasnt been done in a LONG time. I might do that anyway, but any other suggestions as to what it could be are most welcome.

Siena , thanks I might mention that to the garage when I pop it in. What other symptoms should I look out for ? i.e slipping in gear etc

^^^ The scenario I mentioned above won't apply to you, as your car's an auto.

Definitely sounds transmission-related though.