S4 Fuel Leak

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So we were out today in craigs S4 and on a few occasions when we stopped i could smell petrol.

At one point, we backed the car out of a space and there was the tell tale rainbow patterns on the road, so i had a look under to see what was going on.

On the right hand side of the tank, near the subframe mounting bolt, there is a silver cylinder which is tucked tight against the tank and has a banjo fitting on the bottom. I presume this is the fuel filter.

Fuel seems to be leaking from the banjo joint from what i can see. Any ideas if this is a common problem? will i just have to replace the banjo bolt and seals, and put a new filter on for good measure, or is it likely that the banjo itself is causing the leaking, ie a replacement fuel line being required...

Cheers

Its mostly likely a blocked filter, they are not a service item if i remember correctly

Mine did this but it was the filter that was leaking from under the support band !!

hmm, that sounds a bit crappy!

I think i'll try n get another filter tomorrow, and see if that helps, probably could be doing with some new seals and banjo bolts too though :/

I wonder if the new filter will come with new seals?

Got a new filter today and went to fit it.

No idea how on earth i'm meant to get the old one off though... It seems to be held on with a clamp, but the clamp is wedged up between the chassis and the tank, with what looks like an allen head bolt. Theres no way i'm going to get an allen key up in there to change it...

Is this a tank out job?

I managed to get quarter of a turn on the banjo bolt so i'll see if that manages to stop it leaking for now.