Retro fitting cruise control part question

stapo69

All hail the mighty quattro!
Reaction score
Anyone know what parts, with numbers, I'd need to fit cruise control on my 1998 Audi S4? Looking on ebay and the audi b5 kits are around £150-£200, however the b5 Passat kits are easily £100 cheaper, I know these share a lot of parts with ours, but what about the cruise control? All look very similar from the pictures, same stalk and loom, but I don't know if it's that simple.

Any help appreciated as always!

do you need a loom to retro fit it? i had always assumed it was just a cash of plugging it into what was there and then enableing it in vag com.

the stalks are available from american ebay for around £50. if you order some, let me know, we might be able to save on postage as i need some for mine as mine dont work propperly (only the 'set' button works, and it wont resume.)

on my facelift im sure it was plug and program on vagcom.

i think it may be a common problem whenever i used to use resume the cruise would stop working if i pressed set again, i try not to use resume now just set it again.

A lot of vag motors only need the stalk and a couple of wires, then vagcom, like my mates golf 4, but the earlier ones, like my 98 S4 need a loom as well and thats what ends up costing, so doesn't look like i can get away with a passat set up for some reason, can't find a cheap way to do mine, around £200 is the best so far, so looks like my 900 mile round trip to germany will be done with an achey leg!

My 99 2.8Q needed the Loom and indicator switch. Worked out at £150, which was the loom from kufatec and the switch direct from York Audi. It's a mare to fit though as you have to run the loom from the ECU through the bulkhead and up the steering column. Not a hard job... just fiddly and if your not one for working with wiring... a bit daunting.

A shall be taking a brick then!

I've been buying the parts to retro fit it to our '96.

As ours is DBC its a kinda standalone system that just yanks on the throttle spindle using vacuum thingy.

I've managed to get the ecu, stalk, pump, actuator, some pipes and the clutch and brake shutoff valves from an A8 breakers on ebay (the parts are all the same). All i need to get now is the bracketry to attach the actuator to the throttle body, and some time buried in the wiring diagrams to pull it all together.

I shall post an update when i get onto it.