1.8TQS remaps and clutches

SiGainey

Reaction score
Howdo all,

I'm in the market for a nice 1.8TQS and want to remap it. I've always used ChippedUK for maps in the past but I'm worried that a remap on a 100k mile car will wreck the clutch... On the current car (VW Bora TD150), it needs a new clutch after 30k of remapped motorway miles (50K in total!) so I'm less than impressed, especially as it was meant to be a progerssive map... But I think it general concencus that a TDI torque wrecks clutches...

What options are there for a new clutch - I want to keep the dual mass flywheel (even though it's £££ :() but have read of southbend. Anyone with any experiences they want to share? :)

TIA :)

i would seriously look at getting a 240mm single mass flywheel and using the clutch from an S4 or RS4.

Seems to me thats the way to go to get maximum torque handling, without ending up with a clutch thats not very nice to use. Sticking to an OE clutch will mean you retain all the feel/progressiveness of the standard audi unit, but because its larger you get more torque handling (most likely more than an uprated 228mm one), and it should also last a bit longer too!

i should find out how a 176k mile clutch will take it.