Can you mix offsets?

stuA4T

Reaction score
Recently had one of my RS4 replicas trashed by a pothole, couldn't get same offset as originals (ET42), only ET35 available as singles. Is it safe to have a pair of ET35 on the rear axle and ET42's on the front?

I cant see why not, I think maybe if it was one one side & one other it might make difference cause of the tracking etc, not my speciality but common sense would say its ok cause if you think about it many on here have spacers different sizes front/rear like the 8P has 10mm front & 15mm rears, so from that which is practically the same thing you're doing I'd say you're good to go.

People run different size spacers front to back, different widths and different tyres, so I don't see wy it'd make much difference. Think some space out the rears a wee bit more on th rear anyway, which is what you'll end up with, look to fill the arches a bit more. Thinking about it loadsa people run differnet offsets front to rear on plenty of dubs to get them looking right. You'll be just fine.

Thanks for the input, save me having to buy another full set of wheels.

I'd say it's cheaper to buy a full set - you tend to get more discount that way.

By the time you buy just 2 more, then probably 2 decent hubcentric spacers, you won't be far off cost wise from buying a full set of just wheels...

My 2 kobo's worth.

I certainly wouldn't mix the offsets. I will affect the handling and it could mean ESP doesn't work properly as the points of rotation will be out of specification.

you wont have a problem mixing the offsets, as has been said the difference between et35 and et42 would be the same as fitting some 7mm spacers on your et42 wheels.

My only concern would be that the design of the wheel itself would be subtly different, and it wouldnt be evident until its actually fitted to the car.

Think i'll go with the the general opinion, as a full set are £475, and two will cost £200 without tyres, and seeing as all my tyres have still got a lot of tread on em and would mean binning the old ones which are only 12 months old. The council in my area are renowned for their reluctance to pay for damage caused to your car by their negligent maintenance, but i will try to claim something from them, got pictures of the pothole.

DAmn right mate, gotta be worth a go for sure. What's the worst that can happen!

I trashed 2 tyres on a bad stretch of road a few years back, took loads of photos and wrote to the local council etc. I gave them a call to follow up on the claim and they said that they wasn't going to pay up because they weren't aware there was a problem on that stretch of road!!!

Go figure....

If you're gonna go that path then how about adding spacers to the wheels so you've got a matched set of 4 ?