Need some help please

tazzy baby

Welsh & Proud
Reaction score
HI there guys and gals:yes: i need some help before i get ripped off by a grease monkey who couldnt find sand in the desert. I got an A4 avant 1.8t sport 97 p plate, AEB engine code. A few weeks ago it started missing and was down on power so when i cheaked it there was no spark on cyl 3 so i changed the plugs and it was the same:think:. So i phoned up audi and they said it sounds like a coil pack, so i ordered 4 new ones and guess what still the same:banghead:. So i had no choice but to put it to the monkey shop, the only one i can afford. ( NO OFFENCE MENT TO ALL THE GOOD ONES OUT THERE ). It was in there for 2weeks then he called and said it was the ECU and had to be sent off, so i sent it and it came back with no faults. so now im out of pocket so much i aint got that much money left to get it done and its still in the shop:sign_unfair:, so i thought i would have a go. So i bought a haynes manual and started to read:eyebrows: and i came across something called a power output stage for ignition coils its located on top of the air filter box, so called up the monkey and told him what i found and he said dont tell me how to look for ticks and the more i talk to him the more im going to:box:. Then he told me that its gone the same on cyl 2 as well:crying:. I just think hes screwing money out of me and knows exlactly what it is. So please does any one out there know what it could be and if they think its what i found in the book please i need help i love my :kissmyrings: and dont want to get rid of it but its looking that way thanks:thumbsup: Tazzy

sounds exactly like the ignition amp (the output power stage) to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-A6-IGNITION-CONTROL-MODULE-8D0905351_W0QQitemZ250365650410QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item250365650410&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Something like that will probably fix it, and its something you can most likely fit yourself.

Get the car back off the guy now, and dont go near him again. Either pick up an amp from ebay or buy a new one, and plug it in yourself.

Thanks for that advice buddy:thumbsup: il get that cheaked as soon as. let you know when i can thanks again

HAS THE CAR HAD A DIAGNOSTIC CHECK VIA THE 16 PIN CONNECTION, THIS SHOULD READ ALL THE FAULTS IN THE CAR AND WOULD SHOW THW CAUSE OF THE MISS FIRE IN FACT IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO CLEAR THE FAULT TRU THE SOFTWARE, U NEED TO GO TO A DECENT MECHANIC FOR THIS, AT LEAST U WUD KNOW WAT D PROBLEM IS:ermm:

DID U CHECK THE COIL ON SPARK CONNECTIONS FOR CRACKS ETC, HAVE A GOOD LOOK ROUND N SEE IF ANYTHING COULD BE DRAWING THE AMPEAGE, CUD BE IGN AMP OR AN INTERMITENT FAULT WITH THE ECU CAUSING THE FAULT BY NOT ALLOWING POWER AMP 2 WORK CORRECTLY:w00t:

Hi there nice to talk to you diesilfilter251 by any chance is your monkey and mine related as they both seem to come from theire ainus. god they went for you big time i changed the belts, water pump and flushed the water in about 4 hours and i only know basic stuff. i like the bit when u said about coal being a dimond i you wait long enough still ticklled on that. what was the out come after let me know thanks. Hi graham a4 thanks for that, i had that cheak done via the 16 pin it came bak with 13 fault codes but when i had them reset theonly fault i had up was injectors as i pulled it off not to be washed down the cyl and thats it. thanks guys il keep you up 2date with every thing nice to meet yo all

I had the same symptoms a while ago and the ignition amp was faulty.. very easy fix. A diag will just show up as a misfire though AFAIK which is a bit non-specific.

ECU would not cause one spark plug not to work anyways. and as you have changed the the coil pack I agree it sounds like the amp.

:yahoo: Ive just got my car back butn i aint happy. I phoned him last night to say that i would be down to day to collect it and he said that it cant be drivin so i would have to pay him 120 quid to tow it 1.5 miles, So you can only imagine what i told him. When i got there just now it was locked up in the back **** hole and he wouldnt return the key untill i payed the bill that has already been paid by card, so i phoned the rossers:busted_cop:. Needless to say they didnt rush but when they did i told them what had gone on and they sorted it for me, but when i tryed to drive it away it would not start and thats when the monkey started to laugh out loud, so i asked the officer to find out what he had done to it coz i was in the mood to:motz::box:. He told him it was like that when it came in but thats crap coz i drove it in, and apon further inspection it is only sparking on cyl 1 now and i almost broke down there and then:crying:. so i had no chocie but to call for a recovery truck:sos: and fair play the guy was self employed and took pity on me 30 quid with call out:respekt:. Anyway just ordered the part from audi for 150 pounds and fingers crossed the problems just go so keep you informed thanks every one:thumbsup:

Good on you sticking to your guns and getting the car back.

It's probably worth asking around people on here to see if they know of a good garage to use in your area in future, and any other problems you should ask the question on here before paying anything out!

NAME AND SHAME!!!

Its the only way...

Might save some one else from this To+ser

Hi there nice to talk to you diesilfilter251 by any chance is your monkey and mine related as they both seem to come from theire ainus. god they went for you big time i changed the belts, water pump and flushed the water in about 4 hours and i only know basic stuff. i like the bit when u said about coal being a dimond i you wait long enough still ticklled on that. what was the out come after let me know thanks. Hi graham a4 thanks for that, i had that cheak done via the 16 pin it came bak with 13 fault codes but when i had them reset theonly fault i had up was injectors as i pulled it off not to be washed down the cyl and thats it. thanks guys il keep you up 2date with every thing nice to meet yo all

It ended up I gave him £350, it was the price I had to pay stop me smackin him one.... The missus came in 'just in case'.... Sorry to hear about your woes again, but hats off for sticking up for yourself. I'm not sure I could have gone that far, I was just done with it... At least the work was completed on mine. Good luck with the repairs, keep us posted.

It didnt occur to me, but i aint a million miles from you, i could have bought my spare one up to test the car with/get you home so you would know what the fault was.

Ahh well, sorry bud

No probs buddy, ive ordered a new one so hope thats the end of it i miss driving it :(. By the way what part of wales u from

Hi just to let you guys know it was the ignition coil thingy after. I got the part about 2 hours ago fitted it and it purrrrrred like a kitten again so i just want to say thank you to all you guys for the advice :salute: and hope i can do the same sometime so Thanks Verry much guys:thumbsup:

Hi just to let you guys know it was the ignition coil thingy after. I got the part about 2 hours ago fitted it and it purrrrrred like a kitten again so i just want to say thank you to all you guys for the advice :salute: and hope i can do the same sometime so Thanks Verry much guys:thumbsup: