What MPG should I expect ?

H2o-uk

Reaction score
Hi, I have started using my B5 Audi 2.6 Automatic full time now, as my B7 has gone back to the lease company. I have filled the tank and reset the trip to see how far I could go on one tank, and I managed 220 Miles before the light came on. None of this was motorway mileage I hasten to add, it was just driving around averaging around 30 - 40mph. Is this about right, or do I have I something wrong ?

Hmm. I suppose an auto will be thirstier than a manual.

My car's a B5 2,6 quattro, a manual, so I'd have expected similar MPG from your car, as it's probably lighter.

My car's had a best of 337 miles from a full tank, before the light's come on.

Range has indicated a possible 420-odd from fill-up, but of course I've never achieved that!

My car's covered 216,000 miles.

i get about the same mileage around town, i have a 2.6 avant auto, i think the most Ive had around town is 250.
if i go on the motorway with hardly any traffic i can get about 350-400 miles out of a fall tank.
your car sounds right to me.

Aye, keep the filters clean and keep on top of your fluid changes, tyre pressures, right foot pressure ;O)
..I keep forgetting how imporant all the basic service items are until I've just done them.... I know if got an oil burner but my mpg will get as low as 42mpg and then go back up to 48-50mpg with some tlc.

One curious thing though, I do notice MPG drops during the winter months....? More drain on electrics?

i guess the electrics will make a difference, but how much who knows.

If you think the alternator can generate about 120A peak which is about 1.6KW or ~2HP. Now your electrics arent ever going to draw all of that, but i guess, considering that crusing at 80mph only uses about 20hp, then even a 1hp load on the engine would have an appreciable drop in fuel consumption (ie 5% or so)

It could be that during the winter months the air is much more dense as its colder, and the MAF sensor is adding more fuel to the mixture to compensate, therfore lowering your MPG. Just a thought

well the density of the air doesnt affect how much fuel you use directly...

more dense air means more fuel is injected yes, but that means the engine develops more power. If you use the same amount of power as before, then your fuel usage would stay the same, if you use the newfound extra power, it will go down.

So in a steady state cruise at say 70mph, your car requires say 20hp to maintain its speed. If the airs colder and denser, that means you simply need less air to make the desired 20hp, if you continued to consume the same air as before, youd make more than 20hp and the car would accellerate ;)

i average between 22 and 26mpg on my 2.8 30v quattro with the tiptronic box. would like to improve that a little, we will see, im only getting about 27mpg on a long run...

I get roughly 320-350 miles per tank before light comes on, averaging 28mpg. Thats motorway and town driving. The only gears i use is 2nd and 5th :O.

not using the gears correctly will actually cause the car to use more fuel.

The engine isnt working efficiently if its in 5th gear at 1200rpm trying to pull the car along, which is why the car has 5 gears, not two... You'll also massively reduce the life of your clutch if your slipping it lots to pull away in 2nd.

We get 30-31mpg average from a 1.8T but thats doing reasonably long journey into work and back rather than solely town driving, i'd expect the V6 to be more thirsty, and the auto will make it worse still, 220miles on a tank seems very low to me though, thats worse than the kinda mileage craig gets from his S4

Just had an oil and filter change, and Ive checked the Air Filter which is clean, looking at the service history, it last had a set of plugs at 35k and its now on 77k, maybe I'll get them done.

Tyre pressures are worth checking too. Ours drops a few MPG if the tyres are down even a few psi all round.

3. Fit cruise control
Cruise control maintains a constant speed, reducing the gradual speeding up and slowing down effect caused by driving normally.

I'm looking into this just now, I've noticed when on the motorway the missus seems unable to keep a constant speed, come to a hill and we've dropped from 80 to 70 before she presses the throttle more, and then your guzzling fuel not only climbing the hill, but trying to pick up speed again, or similarly she'll reach a downhill stretch and not notice the cars started accellerating. Means the speeds constantly changing which must be costing a few mpg. Got the bits lined up from an A8, so i'll do a bit of a writeup once its all here.

I get around 47 mpg overall from mine , covering a mixture of roads to and from work , not driving particularly with economy in mind......
On motorways and long journeys by keeping to a constant 70 mph I get 50+ mpg with ease.

BAAAAAAAHHHHHH....HHUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMBB.....BUUUUGGGGGGGGG.
DOES IT SQUEAK WHEN YOU WALK.