My friend looking to buy a Audi 2.8

Wayner87

Reaction score
Hello All,

My friend is currently looking at buying a Audi 2.8 Quattro estate. Now we found a couple but theres one in particular that has this from the description:

"There is a slight noise in first gear due to wear from the gearbox as this is a quattro. I belive this is a common fault on these vehicles as I have seen cars listed on ebay with the same fault. My mechanic has said there is nothing to worry about."

Now i dont know if the above statement is true or not but can anyone shed some light? Might need a new gear box perhaps? Or on average how much will a second hand one be?

Many thanks for your advice.

Wayne

Very rare for a quattro box on the A4 to go but as a rule if it's got a noise then there is a problem that will need fixing.

do a search for gearbox on here and you will find very few problems with the Quattro box.

i've seen that exact description before...

Was the car for sale recently on ebay?

I'd expect to pay no more than 200quid for a working used transmission, unless its a 6speed, which tend to sell for 300+

its a thirsty beast that 2.8v6.
as above on the gearbox, needs fixing by the sound of it
what is your motivaion for that model?

My first is noisy too, has been so since I bought the car in June 2007.

It hasn't gotten any worse, but i only purchased the car with the noisy first, as i have my own plans for her, that don't include the current transmission.

i've seen that exact description before...

Was the car for sale recently on ebay?

I'd expect to pay no more than 200quid for a working used transmission, unless its a 6speed, which tend to sell for 300+

Aragorn, it's not a FWD 2,8, it's a quattro.

An S4 6-speed box goes for considerably more than £300, unless of course, it's tired, or an early S2 6-speed, being sold as an S4 unit.

good point, i'm thinking of FWD boxes, but i would still consider myself being ripped off if i paid much more than £3-400 for a 10 year old gearbox in all honesty, unless it had been reconditioned or something.

last S4 box I looked at went for £650!! I passed obviously

I paid £575 for mine, I've also paid £595 for another, from a 2,5 TDI Allroad.

I sold the Allroad one for £630.

Reconditioning cost about £1,500 + VAT parts and labour, so I wouldn't expect one that was recon'd 4 years back to go for less than £500.