2.8 quattro - sport suspension?

A4Chris

Reaction score
Did Audi ever produce the 2.8 quattro with sport suspension (i.e. the 20mm drop over standard suspension)? If not, I presume there are several good quality aftermarket kits that can be fitted to drop by around 20mm??

Reason I ask is that within the next 6 months, I'm planning on changing the 1.8T for another B5 (avant this time) but can't decide between a 1.8T Sport Quattro or the 2.8 Quattro (I always think half the fun of choosing a new car is all the research!). I'm really tempted by the 2.8 for the massive torque, V6 growl and full leather interior (rather than the half leather of the 1.8tqs) but would want the tight handling of the 1.8tqs.

Any advice from 2.8 or 1.8tqs owners?

i am gonna stick my neck out here and say the suspension is possibly the same, my 2.8Q has the 'red dampers' that signifys the sports kit, and sits lower than the non sports 'cooking' A4s.

the 2.8s always seem to sit a bit higher, presumably due to different springs because of the weight of the 2.8

my 2.8Q also rides very simular to my 1.9TDI that has the sports kit, so im pretty confident that a 1.8TQS and a 2.8Q will been identical bar maybe the length of the springs (and the engine obviously)

are you looking for a manual or a Tip? if your going for the tiptronic your defo want a V6, the box is very well suited to the engine imho, and i can imagine a 1.8T being a bit 'zingy' for the lazy, auto box.

im obviously biased, but im gonna go against the grain and say go for the 2.8 (as long as its a 30v 193hp). its really smooth and refined, but when you want it to it can really haul its ***! not to mention, its also easier to find a fully loaded 2.8 than a 1.8T, although its still relativly hard to find a 2.8 193hp quattro with all the toys and a manual box, most seem to be tiptronic.

do you plan to tune it? if so, theres only one engine to go for, the 1.8T is much better suited for fooling around with.

excuse my probably worthless scribblings!

afaik 2.8q's only came with sport suspension....? Glad you're going for an avant. No better way to make yer dog look good, or transport recyclables to the dump reeeeeally quick!

If you're moding, you'll probably have more options with the 1.8t. I'd love a V6, used to have an old XR4x4 2.8i, so much fun! Just can't afford it on my current mileage :O(

My money would go on the 1.8T for fuel economy reasons, although the 2.8's are availalbe significantly cheaper, as the 1.8TQS was only available after '99 and is relatively rare.

I think all the quattro models were effectively sports. I've never seen a quattro with poverty spec seats or steering wheel, and i've never seen a quattro jacked up like a base spec A4...

My old 2.8Q did not have sport suspension so it's not guaranteed so check.

If you plan on modding it then the 1.8Tq is the better option but Avants are quite rare to find.

get the 1.8t quattro. i get 35mpg on a run and the interior is nicer with it being a facelift. im sure you still get a faccelift 2.8 mind you.

I've just brought a '99 2.8 Avant. It's my first non hot-hatch car in 10 years, I love it so far. It's very comfortable and quicker than my old mk2 golf 16v'er plus I can fit all my toys in the boot.

my 2.8q has sports suspension, the seats are cloth but pretty sporty too, has sports steering wheel and gearknob. I love the car to bits.