Short Shift For 01E 6-Speed?

Siena

Reaction score
Hi guys, just thought I'd ask...

I'm commencing Outlaw's heart transplant next month (a few week away in February. I'm all good to go.

Question is the shift for my S4 01E tranny. It's sitting here, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting a short shift while it's off the car?

I've never used one, I also recall back in my Audi S2 days - there were isues with the short shift when used on 6-speed cars, worked perfectly on 5-speed trannys though. On the 6-speed, the reverse lock-out no longer functioned. This meant you could select reverse without depressing the selector lever.

Is anyone on here running a short-shift in an S4, or other 6-speed B5? How does it feel? Do you still retain the reverse lock-out function?

Thanks.

i put an ebay job on mine,was very cheap but has taken lots of abuse with no problems,it has the lockout so no problems with selection,they are a copy of more expensive versions but near identical

I see. What's the lower pivot made of? The part that attaches to the shift rod?

The OEM one is nylon, with a steel insert. I would imagine the short shift has a stainless steel spherical pivot?

^^ Got you.

Would you say it improves "feel" and / or "precision"? I don't want to end up with a gear change that's more ponderous and clunky than it already is. Audi shifter in quattro models isn't the best.

Do you have a link to the ebay item?

Thanks.

siena i posted a link the other day to a website talking about part of the shifter mech further down the line

There is a rubber UJ which connects the shift rod to the box, which is responsible for a lot of the rubbishness in the shift.

You can at the very least swap this for a passat item which is apparently better, or even better replace it with a good quality metal UJ

If you google "team skittle racing" you will hopefully find their page.

Aragorn, the S4 / RS4 6-speed linkage is connected to the selector knuckle on the tranny via a ball joint. No rubber parts, the rest of the linkage, including the stator rod is all solid attachment.

It's not sloppy, just wondering if I could improve throw, and not make it clunkier.

It's very different from the FWD or 5-speed set-up.

cant you just modify the std unit and re-drill the pivot point on the stick

I could do that, yes.

But drilling the hole to attach the pivot point higher (thereby shortening the throw) means the reverse lock-out tab won't mesh with the gate, it'll be all too easy to select reverse instead of first, as reverse selection won't require depression of the shift lever.

Right now, I'm good to go with the conversion - each time I think the weather's improved, the temperature drops once more. Grrrr!

I would love one that would work with my 01E Diesel 'box, i looked at redrilling it but my pivot is a bearing race.:-(

I've had an eBay job fitted for the last two years (set to minimum throw reduction) and I wouldn't be without it. The reverse lock-out works fine.

I'd just suck it and see. If you ever did decide it wasn't for you, it's been £30 and an hour of your time 'wasted' to put it back to stock. One thing which I don't rate with the eBay kit though is that the actual lever height is reduced.

On the more expensive kits (JHM, Toyguy, etc.), they replace the rubber bushes which guide the slider mechanism with delrin bushes which apparently removes any looseness which you often find on an ageing stock setup. And they also retain the stock height of the shifter.

Hmm, options to consider. I like the stock shifter height, and wish to retain that

Anyone have any experience with the Tanoga short shift?

SOrry Siena, was refering to Fatal8446' s post with the ebay link and saying to Byzan about using said short shift on a diesel 'box..

SOrry Siena, was refering to Fatal8446' s post with the ebay link and saying to Byzan about using said short shift on a diesel 'box..

Oops!

I forgot Fatal8446 sent an ebay link, must have been too tired to read properly. :ninja:

esp engineering ss retains the stock height - just bought one for my s4