Somebody Shoot me!! Gearbox knackered again!!!

nemo2182

Reaction score
Ive not long had my S4 back from having my gearbox repaired, and today I missed 2nd gear horribly from a fast start. Thing is now I cant move through the gearbox properly, 2nd being near on impossible to select. I know it is probably shagged again, but anyone got any ideas????

Nathan

It's possible the selector's out of alignment, and may just need adjustment.

I'd check the connection underneath the car, and make sure the bolt is tightened.

Thanks mate, I have to say I never missed it like that before!!it was like slow motion and the gear seemed to grind for an eternity!! 2nd gear was replaced when the gearbox was fixed, so surely its designed to take a bit of abuse. Is it expensive if its the selector???

Nathan

If it's the selector that needs adjustment, it shouldn't take more than half an hour on a ramp, 15 - £20 at the most.

Im assuming you have seen this problem before then?????I have to admit one of the things im not keen on is the gearbox. big, heavy, clunky affair........

Yep - seen ill-adjusted linkages shift, or loose locking bolt allow movement.

I mean it literally feels like the gear has ripped out and got jammed in there, its so hard to select 1st or 2nd. 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th seem ok though!!!

my second gear has always been my worst , ive just got to live with it but i remember test driving another one before this and it was the same . is it a common problem.
this other b5 a4 seems a lot smoother

Andy,
Had a 1.8t b4 and I loved the gearbox!!The S4 is just not as refined as it should b, but then I know they had issue's with the torque. Ive been in a M3 of the same era, and that is alot better. Not sure what the v8's are like. Im just s***ing em because my gearbox cost me £1000 a few months ago!!!

I just noticed you have a short shifter, check that all the alignment is ok with that 2

I got one, but still havent put it on ;o) I really havent had a chance to do it. I think ill get it on when my mate has to check what damage ive done!!!

JHM Motorsports do it. Uprated first and second synchros and an uprated shift collar.