1.8Tq loosing coolant

1.8TQ

Reaction score
hey
I have a 96 1.8Tq that's loosing coolant, there doesn't appear to puddles under the car and the rate at which the coolant is lost isn't particularly high (low coolant light comes on every 2 weeks approx), ive read about the water pump impeller being the possible cause of this but cant understand how that would cause the problem, the temp gauge doesnt shoot up ever and there doesn't apper to be any indications of it being the head gasket.
is there any way to establish if it is the water pump or head gasket?
oh and theres 118k on the clock and the belt (and maybe the w/pump) was changed at 115k
cheers for any help

First place I'd look is where the coolant pipes meet the rad. When I changed my thermostwat and water pump it all ****** out on my first test drive 'cos muggins hadn't quite put them back hard enough.....

ours does this too, albeit a little more slowly

I've noticed crust on the top radiator hose and in one corner of the radiator itself, so i presume that when it gets particularly hot stuck in traffic or whatever the pressure causes it to leak a bit. I've enver actually had a low coolant warning though, and i accidentally left the plug undone for months after one oil change with no warnings from the dash whatsoever. The level never seems to drop below the minimum mark on the resovoir either.

i had this problem, turned out to be a cracked plastic pipe attached to the engine at the back of the engine bay where there is a temp sensor. It made me chuckle cause when i went to get a new one from the dealership (only £12) and they called it a flange :haha:

small things lol, hth

I had this problem as well i was putting about a litre in a fortnight, it turned out to be a tiny crack in the radiator. Look for white residue around pipes on the rad etc as this is teh dried antifreeze.

A leaking radiator core may be a bit harder to spot, especially if it's between the radiator and air con condenser.

I doubt it'll be a pipe / hose, most common source of leaks on B5's is where the radiator core goes into the end tanks.