my turbo problem

avvy

Reaction score
I posted here a few weeks back saying about how my 1.9 TDI was very sluggish when going uphill.
The car has been wired up today to see what the problem was and it turns out to be a sensor which is reducing the fuel flow.
I've now got to try and see if I can get it sorted out by the garage where I bought it. Does anybody know where I stand legally with this? As the car was like this when I bought it I feel that I shouldn't have to pay for it to be done. Also my aircon is very poor as well (probably need regassing).
I've been quoted about £200 to get the sesor fixed.

Hmmmm. First thought is, caveat emptor. Buyer beware. If it was like this when you got it, then presumably you will have noticed the flat spot on the test drive (unless of course there were no hills on the test route). If you bought it on a sold-as-seen basis, the garage can argue that you were happy to buy it based on the test drive, so there's no comeback.

If the car was sold with a warranty, check the terms to see if the part you are referring to is covered. Also, did the sale terms include a documented pre-sale inspection checklist? Some manufacturers' "approved" used schemes do have this. If your faulty sensor is ticked on the checklist as being OK, and you can show that it was defective at the time of purchase, you might have a claim, even if it isn't covered by the after-sale warranty.

Then there is the question of whether it is actually a defect. Is the sensor you are having replaced actually malfunctioning, or has it just reached the end of its serviceable life? Remember, even the best used-car warranties do not cover the cost of replacing service items that are expiring due to wear and tear.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks for your reply. I have looked into this a bit more and it seems that if I had the car for less than 28 days there would have been something I could do about it. As I've had it longer I will have to pay to get it sorted.
When I test drove the car I didn't notice any problems as I was driving it in city traffic.
I've just picked up the car again and have my print out, one of the things that was wrong was a broken wire on a multi plug. The mechanic has fixed that for me and already the car is a lot faster than it was.
The only thing that needs doing now is the mass sencer which is saying that the voltage is too low, I'll get that done asap.