Thinkin of buyin 98+ A4 1.8T help

Reaction score
Hi, im New.. i currently have a 90 300zx... thinkin bought getting a 98+ Audi A4 1.8T
any suggestions as to how much its worth.. and what i should be looking for when purchasing it?
i dont know much about audi..thanks for the help ..

average price i see in the papers for used one is bout $20-26,000 canadian dollars

Welcome 131456
How many miles are on the car? FWD or Quattro(IMO, i would go with the AWD) I would say go for a 99.5+ because if you like modding your car you are going to want to get some 1 piece projectors and newer style taillights.

I would only pay C$26,000 for a 2001.5 1.8T Quattro with low, low miles. Other than that, i wouldn't pay more than C$23,000 for any B5 model.

A few things to look at :
Timing Belt(when last replaced, if replaced)
Head Gasket(i think that's what it is) for leaks/cracks due from improper oil from Turbo cooling
Control arms(when replaced, if replaced)

Keep in mind that repairs can get a bit pricy

i was hoping most repairs can be done by myself.. hmm.. im not sure if its quattro or fwd.. all its says is 1.8T..im assuming its fwd.. i found a 98 1.8T for $18,500 has bout 97kms

ill keep my eyes open for more A4 1.8T but so far i only found bout 4.. in the papers

Where in Canada are you located?

I think if you do some shopping you can find a better deal than 20-26. I've seen a bunch of 01's for around 22,000 with about 75,000km's. A 98 1.8T for 18,500 sounds like too much. You could probably get it for 15k.

Here's something I wrote a while ago:

The most obvious issues are (no matter what the mileage may be):
Diverter Valve
upper control arms
coolant sensor (not the thermostat)

Other items that may need attention in high mileage cars are:
timing belt/tensioner
all turbo line hoses for leaks
water pump
thermostat
clutch

And, of course the turbo should be considered, but that's hard to assess.

By the way: Audi is NOT an unreliable car; that's an old rumor.

You need to realize that it is a German performance car. German performance cars require care and attention; neglect will result in serious repairs and expense. Care and attention can be defined as simply being disciplined about the schedule of maintenance and immediately dealing with a problem when it arises. You can NOT let a problem linger like you can with a Volvo or Toyota. If a problem comes up, the longer you wait to fix it, the worse it will get; it will cause other items to fail and your wallet will suffer exponentially. But if you treat your Audi with respect and care, you will be rewarded with a superior driving experience.

By the way: If you're in Canada, I'd consider the quattro only. Much better for the winter.

Hope that helps.

im from Vancouver B.c

thanks for the Tips.. i might go to the local audi dealer today to look @ a4. =) they have such clean line.. i think it will be fun to modify.. =)

would u put a blow off valve on a Automatic 1.8T? i never had turbo so i have no clue haha..

NO BOV. You need to look for Diverter Valve or Bypass Valve. GO with QUATTRO

[ QUOTE ]
131456 said:
would u put a blow off valve on a Automatic 1.8T? i never had turbo so i have no clue haha..

[/ QUOTE ]

A BOV vents excess air to the atmosphere, thus purging the air OUT of the intake tract.
A BPV (or DV) RECIRCULATES the purged air and keeps it IN the intake tract.
For Audi closed loop turbo systems, utilizing a BOV is NOT a good idea as it will cause a rich condition (i.e. less air to fuel ratio) and cause damage to the cat, soot on the exhaust pipes, occasional misfiring due to the loss of the purged air, etc.

woo good thing i asked .. fanks..
but its freakin hard to find a A4 for around 20K... =(

I got my 99.5(about 6 months ago) for $17K(after tax and licensing) with only 40,XXX mies. I would imagine that a lesser year or a higher mileage car would be cheaper than what i payed

damn good deal.. thats american $ so 17k x 1.3 = 22k canadian..