airbag warning light (again) and undertray

tensa4

Reaction score
As a new '98 TDI Avant owner with an airbag light on, I was interested to read earlier threads. Can anyone tell me for certain if when the light is on the airbags are not functioning, or is this not the case?
Also the car sounds a bit 'boomy' with resonance from the engine (exhaust is ok) and as my undertray is missing can anyone tell me how important it is from a function and sound deadening point of view. Lastly! Can you get replacement foam sheet for the underside of the engine top cover?

You really need to hook it up to vagcom to find out which airbag is faulty, but as you've read the seats are the common culprits...

The airbags are deactivated when the light is on as far as i know.

The Airbag will most likely be the connectors under the drivers seat.
There are several posts about this. I recoment bypassing the connector and soldering the wires directly together. Pre 2000 cars do not use gold plated connectors and hence are prone to High Resistance Faults that bring up the Airbag light.

As far as the undertray you could try the following contact for replacement 2nd hand parts.

Overton Dismantlers
Overton Garage Ltd
off Dyce Drive
Aberdeen
Scotland AB21 0EQ
Tel: 00.44.1224.722354
Parts Fax: 00.44.1224.775451
General Fax:00.44.1224.722457
Email : sales@overtongarage.co.uk

Regards,

Jim.

The undertray provides nothing in the way of sound deadening, it's just a thin plastic guard to stop road debris from getting to the engine. Definately worth sourcing from a breakers as they are £67 from a dealer.

fyi....'ve not had an under tray on my car since I bought (2yrs now) and all appears to be fine with the gubbins of the engine....

hope this helps as mine is on now. the airbag dosn't work if the light is on. there is 2 main reasons why the light is on. 1 the plug under the seat an two it could be the clock spring in the steering wheel. mines the latter and it bout £120ish from audi.