Quickshift Woes :(

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Sitting at my mums place wih a bit of a problem. Following the fitting instructions and got to undoing the slider retaining 5mm allen bolts. Looks like the bolts don't have a straight 5mm hole as the 5mm bit just won't go into the bolts. I'm now stuck as a piece dropped under the mech and I can't get the ****** back until I get the shifter out :(

Anybody else had any similar problems?

Got to sit and wait for my bro to get home now to see how we can move forwards or I might be getting a lift home and an earfull off the wife.

When I put in mine I didn't have to take out the slider. you just have to do the allen bolt at the bottom of the shifter and it comes out through the slider. I think its only on passats you have to take the slider out aswell. you have to undo the two nuts holding the ball socket in place thought. I had to take my ball joint out the other day as the rubber holding it inplace had deteriated.

It's all in and on. Loads shorter but I do now find it's not as smooth and a bit clumpy. I did set it to the shortest shift with a 35% reduction so I may try it at 25% and see how that feels. It's got to be sweet for Feb as I'm taking the car on a track day at Bedford Autodrome.

Is it really worth it? I've been toying with the idea for a while. I've heard a few horror stories of them breaking.

Is it really worth it? I've been toying with the idea for a while. I've heard a few horror stories of them breaking.

Breaking? First time I've heard. So what actually happened?

I've had mine installed last year, so far I've had no issues. I did however, wrap a cable tie around the pivot to reduce the play (pic below).

int37-step_11_zip_tie.jpg

If its rough just have a play around setting it up , undo the slidder a bit and select gears ,i had to hold it all a bit to left while tightening otherwise 2nd gear was really bad.

Breaking? First time I've heard. So what actually happened?

I've had mine installed last year, so far I've had no issues. I did however, wrap a cable tie around the pivot to reduce the play (pic below).

Not sure, just post I've read on Audiworld etc... I fitted one to an old mk2 Jetta I had, it was great! Had an extra weighted link, gave the change a more solid feel. Only problem was that I could never get it into 5th!!

The teabag is feeling a bit sloppy, if I can't tighten her up a bit with the standard set up I'll add a short shift.:racer:

If its rough just have a play around setting it up , undo the slidder a bit and select gears ,i had to hold it all a bit to left while tightening otherwise 2nd gear was really bad.

It's getting it into 2nd (& reverse) that seem a bit clumpy with mine. Will spend some time tomorrow playing with it with my brother to see if we can't get it better. I'm going to swap the 35% throw reduction to 20% as it's a bit too short for daily use and seeing as it still does the Tesco's run I don't want to spoil how the car drives

Yep, it's 2nd gear on mine (and reverse) that feel a bit clumpy. Will spend some time over the weekend with it. Need to swap the throw to a 20% reduction as the 35% is just a bit too much and if I'm honest seems to detract from the car rather than enhance the experience

ye the server the forums running on is a bit overloaded, that kinda thing happens all the time, surprised you've not seen it before.

If it says "an error occured" when posting, i always copy the post into notepad, and then refresh the thread to check its gone thru, 90% of the time it has, but it doesnt update the post count or last poster on the main page.