Road Tax!!!!

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
I thought my road tax was bad enough.. my uncle just received his renewal and it has gone up to over £400 for the year!!! It's an Alfa 159 Q4.

He's always had nice/performance cars which is where I think I got my enthusiasm from but he's now considering something boring when he swaps as he is disgusted by the government's attitude towards this issue and feels that they already take enough of his hard earned money without this added **** take :keule:

in one way yes i'd feel ****** off if i had to pay that for my "gas guzzling" car, but changing to a shitbox is just doing exactly what they want you to do surely?

Me? i'd just buy something pre-2001 and fit the biggest engine you can find :D

Landrover 90 V8, B5 A4 V8, you know where its at ;)

Also, i'm sure there is some oddity with engine conversions too, ie if you buy a 1.6 B7 A4 and then fit a V8, they cant charge you the tax band for the V8 as the car wasnt registered with it or something. I'd need to look up the details to be precise.

The other option is a smallish tunable turbo engine, the 2.0FSI audi engines for instance wont be in the super high band, although the might make it into the medium high band, and you can still tune them to produce big power.

I say dont pander to them, just find the loop holes and abuse them ;)

Exactly as above the loop holes are the way forward.

Im considering a RS2 as it according to the rules the tax on that is cheaper than my current car !!!

you can see the next thing though cant you...

"Old cars pollute a lot more than new ones, so ALL old cars (where old is >10yo) will be taxed at a million pounds a year"

He's more of a buy it powerful off the shelf/new type person though and would be worried about voiding warranties etc.

It's not that he can't afford it but the fact that we run a business and get rinsed every day by the government to get them out of their economic hole!! They're running small businesses in this country into the ground (but that's a different story)!!.. More taxes on top of taxes.. then taxed a bit more just to rub it in.

We need less taxes at the moment not more for fooks sake!

you can see the next thing though cant you...

"Old cars pollute a lot more than new ones, so ALL old cars (where old is >10yo) will be taxed at a million pounds a year"

Wouldn't be surpised!! Makes me feel sick.

I also have a 1966 Beach buggy - excempt from just about everything testable at the MOT station due to its age - drinks fuel and virtually throws it out neat through the unbaffled exhausts

And its tax free due to it being a historic vehicle !!!!

But as I thought that I ought to do something remotely environmental, I at least painted it green.

I thought that as cows create an enormous amount of pollutant that if I assissinate a few I could justify a large carbon footprint by offsetting one against the other.. Just a thought!

I also have a 1966 Beach buggy - excempt from just about everything testable at the MOT station due to its age - drinks fuel and virtually throws it out neat through the unbaffled exhausts

And its tax free due to it being a historic vehicle !!!!

But as I thought that I ought to do something remotely environmental, I at least painted it green.

Excellent :icon_thumright:

I have one of the best examples of how arbitrary the tax band is - an X plate RS4.
With a cheeky little cO2 rating of 288, I'd be paying £400 this year if I'd bought the same model on a Y.

Just renewed for £185. Marvellous!

I thought the government put this back a year?

They had planned too apparently but it seems that they failed to follow it through.. for a change!!?

We've written to our local MP who came back to us by asking for registration numbers!!.. So no justification at all.

Just found this on the Parkers website - unsure how current the info is though

Road Tax
Owners of older cars will avoid punitive increases in road tax next year after the Chancellor of the Exchequer revised vehicle excise duty in his pre-Budget report.
The cost of tax will increase by a maximum of £5, while some owners will see no change at all.
People with cars registered between March 1, 2001 and March 23, 2006 would have been liable for significant increases next year if their vehicles emitted more than 225g/km of carbon dioxide.
The change threatened to make many older family cars worthless as annual road tax rates were to be set at more than £400.
However, Alistair Darling announced a toned down version of the proposed new road tax bands in the pre-Budget report, where owners of high-emission older cars would see a £60 increase in Road Tax staggered over two years.
It means owners of cars with CO2 emissions of 226g/km or higher that paid £210 this year, would see their road tax bill rise to £215 for 2009/10 and then to £245 for 2010/11.
Cars with CO2 emissions of 100g/km or lower will remain Road Tax-free, while those cars between 101g/km and 120g/km will be liable for modest rates of road tax.
Exemption for older cars (those registered between March 1 2001 and March 23 2006) will run until 2011, but there is a question mark over what happens after this date. Some owners (or potential owners) could find themselves in the same position as they are now - having to pay a substantial increase in Road Tax - in 24 months time.
As a result of the new charges, no owners will save money. Previously everyone with a CO2 figure of less than 140 g/km CO2 would have paid less in 2009.
Road tax from April 2009-2010
Tax band
CO2 emissions
(g/km)

Previous annual rate
Budget 2008
New rate
Pre-Budget Report 2008
A​
Up to 100
FREE​
FREE
B​
101-110
£20​
£35
C​
111-120
£30​
£35
D​
121-130
£90​
£120
E​
131-140
£110​
£120
F​
141-150
£120​
£125
G​
151-165
(151-160*)
£150​
£150
H​
166-175
(161-170*)
£175​
£175
I​
176-185
(171-180*)
£205​
£175
J​
186-200
(181-200*)
£260​
£215
K​
201-225
£300​
£215
L​
226-255
£415​
£405
M​
Over 255
£440​
£405

All cars registered between March 2001 and March 2006 that produce more than 225g/km CO2, will temporarily join Band K in 2009 and 2010.
* CO2 Bands in brackets were originally announced in the March 2008 Budget and have now been re-categorised.